Implementation of Bilateral Rectus Sheath Blocks in Conjunction With Transversus Thoracis Plane and Pectointercostal Fascial Blocks for Immediate Postoperative Analgesia After Cardiac Surgery.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPain continues to be a well-known complication of cardiac surgery in the postoperative period and intravenous opioid analgesia has traditionally been employed to manage cardiac surgical pain. However, both components have contributed to a multitude of undesirable adverse effects which can further exacerbate delays in recovery. Often overlooked in the analgesic plan, chest tube pain contributes significantly to the overall postoperative pain from cardiac surgery. Novel regional anesthetic blocks have shown great promise as analgesic adjuncts for cardiothoracic anesthesia but preliminary investigations focus primarily on management of sternotomy pain. Reduction of chest tube pain should be considered while implementing regional blocks to control surgical pain. This study presents a case where the rectus sheath block minimized chest tube pain after aortic valve replacement in conjunction with intercostal nerve blocks and a multimodal analgesic plan.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2022, Everett et al.
Keywordadult cardiac surgery
multimodality pain management
postoperative pain relief
rectus sheath block
ultrasound-guided regional anesthesia
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/19543
- Avoiding the Internal Mammary Artery During Parasternal Blocks: Ultrasound Identification and Technique Considerations.
- Authors: Sepolvere G, Tognù A, Tedesco M, Coppolino F, Cristiano L
- Issue date: 2021 Jun
- Transversus thoracic plane block and rectus sheath block for left ventricular assist device implantation via full median sternotomy: A case report.
- Authors: Toscano A, Capuano P, Attisani M, Rinaldi M, Brazzi L
- Issue date: 2022 Jul
- Awake cardiac surgery using the novel pectoralis-intercostal-rectus sheath (PIRS) plane block and subxiphoid approach.
- Authors: Toscano A, Balzani E, Capuano P, Vaninetti A, Perrucci C, Simonato E, Rinaldi M, Brazzi L
- Issue date: 2022 Sep
- Preoperative Implementation of Transverse Thoracic Muscle Plane Block and Rectus Sheath Block Combination for Pediatric Cardiac Surgery.
- Authors: Yamamoto T, Seino Y, Matsuda K, Imai H, Bamba K, Sugimoto A, Shiraishi S, Schindler E
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- An Expert Review of Chest Wall Fascial Plane Blocks for Cardiac Surgery.
- Authors: Hargrave J, Grant MC, Kolarczyk L, Kelava M, Williams T, Brodt J, Neelankavil JP
- Issue date: 2023 Feb