Rationale and Methods for Updated Guidelines for the Management of Penetrating Traumatic Brain Injury.
AuthorHawryluk, Gregory W J
Totten, Annette M
Armonda, Rocco A
Okonkwo, David O
Rosenfeld, Jeffrey V
Stein, Deborah M
Wright, David W
PublisherMary Ann Liebert Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPenetrating traumatic brain injury (pTBI) affects civilian and military populations resulting in significant morbidity, mortality, and healthcare costs. No up-to-date and evidence-based guidelines exist to assist modern medical and surgical management of these complex injuries. A preliminary literature search revealed a need for updated guidelines, supported by the Brain Trauma Foundation. Methodologists experienced in TBI guidelines were recruited to support project development alongside two cochairs and a diverse steering committee. An expert multi-disciplinary workgroup was established and vetted to inform key clinical questions, to perform an evidence review and the development of recommendations relevant to pTBI. The methodological approach for the project was finalized. The development of up-to-date evidence- and consensus-based clinical care guidelines and algorithms for pTBI will provide critical guidance to care providers in the pre-hospital and emergent, medical, and surgical settings.
Rights/Terms© Gregory W.J. Hawryluk et al., 2022; Published by Mary Ann Liebert, Inc.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/19518
- The impact of pre-injury anticoagulation therapy in the older adult patient experiencing a traumatic brain injury: A systematic review.
- Authors: Smith K, Weeks S
- Issue date: 2012
- Suicidal Ideation.
- Authors: Harmer B, Lee S, Duong TVH, Saadabadi A
- Issue date: 2022 Jan
- Management of Penetrating Traumatic Brain Injury: Operative versus Non-Operative Intervention.
- Authors: D'Agostino R, Kursinskis A, Parikh P, Letarte P, Harmon L, Semon G
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- Trends in civilian penetrating brain injury: A review of 26,871 patients.
- Authors: Skarupa DJ, Khan M, Hsu A, Madbak FG, Ebler DJ, Yorkgitis B, Rahmathulla G, Alcindor D, Joseph B
- Issue date: 2019 Aug
- Multicenter Validation of the Survival After Acute Civilian Penetrating Brain Injuries (SPIN) Score.
- Authors: Mikati AG, Flahive J, Khan MW, Vedantam A, Gopinath S, Nordness MF, Robertson C, Patel MB, Sheth KN, Muehlschlegel S
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 1