A Virtual Community of Practice: An International Educational Series in Pediatric Neurocritical Care.
AuthorErklauer, Jennifer C
Thomas, Ajay X
Hong, Sue J
Appavu, Brian L
Carpenter, Jessica L
Chiriboga-Salazar, Nicolas R
Ferrazzano, Peter A
Griffith, Jennifer L
Guilliams, Kristin P
Kirschen, Matthew P
Lovett, Marlina E
Munoz Pareja, Jennifer C
Riviello, James J
Schober, Michelle E
Topjian, Alexis A
Wainwright, Mark S
Simon, Dennis W
Pediatric Neurocritical Care Research Group
JournalChildren (Basel, Switzerland)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPediatric neurocritical care (PNCC) is a rapidly growing field. Challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic on trainee exposure to educational opportunities involving direct patient care led to the creative solutions for virtual education supported by guiding organizations such as the Pediatric Neurocritical Care Research Group (PNCRG). Our objective is to describe the creation of an international, peer-reviewed, online PNCC educational series targeting medical trainees and faculty. More than 1600 members of departments such as pediatrics, pediatric critical care, and child neurology hailing from 75 countries across six continents have participated in this series over a 10-month period. We created an online educational channel in PNCC with over 2500 views to date and over 130 followers. This framework could serve as a roadmap for other institutions and specialties seeking to address the ongoing problems of textbook obsolescence relating to the rapid acceleration in knowledge acquisition, as well as those seeking to create new educational content that offers opportunities for an interactive, global audience. Through the creation of a virtual community of practice, we have created an international forum for pediatric healthcare providers to share and learn specialized expertise and best practices to advance global pediatric health.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/19501
- Creating a Robust Community of Practice as a Foundation for the Successful Development of a Pediatric Neurocritical Care Program.
- Authors: Erklauer JC, Thammasitboon S, Shekerdemian LS, Riviello JJ, Lai YC
- Issue date: 2022 Nov
- Pediatric Neurocritical Care: A Short Survey of Current Perceptions and Practices.
- Authors: Murphy SA, Bell MJ, Clark ME, Whalen MJ, Noviski N
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- The future of Cochrane Neonatal.
- Authors: Soll RF, Ovelman C, McGuire W
- Issue date: 2020 Nov
- Pediatric neurocritical care: is it time to come of age?
- Authors: Tasker RC
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Pediatric Neurocritical Care: Evolution of a New Clinical Service in PICUs Across the United States.
- Authors: LaRovere KL, Murphy SA, Horak R, Vittner P, Kapur K, Proctor M, Tasker RC
- Issue date: 2018 Nov