Metformin Enhances the Anti-Cancer Efficacy of Sorafenib via Suppressing MAPK/ERK/Stat3 Axis in Hepatocellular Carcinoma.
Saxena, Neeraj K
JournalInternational Journal of Molecular Sciences
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) incidence, as well as related mortality, has been steadily increasing in the USA and across the globe, partly due to the lack of effective therapeutic options for advanced HCC. Though sorafenib is considered standard-of-care for advanced HCC, it only improves median survival by a few months when compared to placebo. Sorafenib is also associated with several unpleasant side effects that often lead to early abatement of therapy. Here, we investigate whether a combination regimen including low-dose sorafenib and a non-toxic dose of anti-diabetic drug metformin can achieve effective inhibition of HCC. Indeed, combining metformin with low-dose sorafenib inhibited growth, proliferation, migration, and invasion potential of HCC cells. We observed a 5.3- and 1.9-fold increase in sub-G1 population in the combination treatment compared to sorafenib alone. We found that the combination of metformin enhanced the efficacy of sorafenib and inhibited the MAPK/ERK/Stat3 axis. Our in vivo studies corroborated the in vitro findings, and mice harboring HepG2-derived tumors showed effective tumor reduction upon treatment with low-dose sorafenib and metformin combination. This work sheds light on a therapeutic strategy aiming to augment sorafenib efficacy or dose-de-escalation that may prove beneficial in circumventing sorafenib resistance as well as minimizing related side effects.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/19490
- Metformin sensitizes sorafenib to inhibit postoperative recurrence and metastasis of hepatocellular carcinoma in orthotopic mouse models.
- Authors: You A, Cao M, Guo Z, Zuo B, Gao J, Zhou H, Li H, Cui Y, Fang F, Zhang W, Song T, Li Q, Zhu X, Yin H, Sun H, Zhang T
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 8
- Hypoxia-mediated sorafenib resistance can be overcome by EF24 through Von Hippel-Lindau tumor suppressor-dependent HIF-1α inhibition in hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Authors: Liang Y, Zheng T, Song R, Wang J, Yin D, Wang L, Liu H, Tian L, Fang X, Meng X, Jiang H, Liu J, Liu L
- Issue date: 2013 May
- Amentoflavone Enhances the Therapeutic Efficacy of Sorafenib by Inhibiting Anti-apoptotic Potential and Potentiating Apoptosis in Hepatocellular Carcinoma In Vivo.
- Authors: Tsai JJ, Hsu FT, Pan PJ, Chen CW, Kuo YC
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Metformin inhibits the invasion of human hepatocellular carcinoma cells and enhances the chemosensitivity to sorafenib through a downregulation of the ERK/JNK-mediated NF-κB-dependent pathway that reduces uPA and MMP-9 expression.
- Authors: Hsieh SC, Tsai JP, Yang SF, Tang MJ, Hsieh YH
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Sorafenib increases efficacy of vorinostat against human hepatocellular carcinoma through transduction inhibition of vorinostat-induced ERK/NF-κB signaling.
- Authors: Hsu FT, Liu YC, Chiang IT, Liu RS, Wang HE, Lin WJ, Hwang JJ
- Issue date: 2014 Jul