The Casein kinase 1α agonist pyrvinium attenuates Wnt-mediated CK1α degradation via interaction with the E3 ubiquitin ligase component Cereblon.
Neitzel, Leif R
Williams, Charles H
Hong, Charles C
Robbins, David J
JournalJournal of Biological Chemistry
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe Cullin-RING ligase 4 (CRL4) E3 ubiquitin ligase component Cereblon (CRBN) is a well-established target for a class of small molecules termed immunomodulatory drugs (IMiDs). These drugs drive CRBN to modulate the degradation of a number of neo-substrates required for the growth of multiple cancers. Whereas the mechanism underlying the activation of CRBN by IMiDs is well described, the normal physiological regulation of CRBN is poorly understood. We recently showed that CRBN is activated following exposure to Wnt ligands and subsequently mediates the degradation of a subset of physiological substrates. Among the Wnt-dependent substrates of CRBN is Casein kinase 1α (CK1α), a known negative regulator of Wnt signaling. Wnt-mediated degradation of CK1α occurs via its association with CRBN at a known IMiD-binding pocket. Herein, we demonstrate that a small-molecule CK1α agonist, pyrvinium, directly prevents the Wnt-dependent interaction of CRBN with CK1α, attenuating the consequent CK1α degradation. We further show that pyrvinium disrupts the ability of CRBN to interact with CK1α at the IMiD-binding pocket within the CRBN/CK1α complex. Of note, this function of pyrvinium is independent of its previously reported ability to enhance CK1α kinase activity. Furthermore, we also demonstrated pyrvinium attenuates CRBN-induced Wnt pathway activation in vivo. Collectively, these results reveal a novel dual mechanism through which pyrvinium inhibits Wnt signaling by both attenuating the CRBN-mediated destabilization of CK1α and activating CK1α kinase activity.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2022 The Authors. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/19337
- The E3 ubiquitin ligase component, Cereblon, is an evolutionarily conserved regulator of Wnt signaling.
- Authors: Shen C, Nayak A, Neitzel LR, Adams AA, Silver-Isenstadt M, Sawyer LM, Benchabane H, Wang H, Bunnag N, Li B, Wynn DT, Yang F, Garcia-Contreras M, Williams CH, Dakshanamurthy S, Hong CC, Ayad NG, Capobianco AJ, Ahmed Y, Lee E, Robbins DJ
- Issue date: 2021 Sep 6
- The CK1α Activator Pyrvinium Enhances the Catalytic Efficiency (k(cat)/K(m)) of CK1α.
- Authors: Shen C, Li B, Astudillo L, Deutscher MP, Cobb MH, Capobianco AJ, Lee E, Robbins DJ
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 24
- Structural basis of lenalidomide-induced CK1α degradation by the CRL4(CRBN) ubiquitin ligase.
- Authors: Petzold G, Fischer ES, Thomä NH
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 7
- IMiDs induce FAM83F degradation via an interaction with CK1α to attenuate Wnt signalling.
- Authors: Dunbar K, Macartney TJ, Sapkota GP
- Issue date: 2021 Feb
- Pyrvinium doubles against WNT-driven cancer.
- Authors: Fan J, Reid RR, He TC
- Issue date: 2022 Oct