AuthorCarrier, Amber N
Muller, Yannick D
Buhler, Leo H
Maluf, Daniel G
Meier, Raphael P H
JournalFrontiers in Immunology
PublisherFrontiers Media S.A.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOrgan allotransplantation has now reached an impassable ceiling inherent to the limited supply of human donor organs. In the United States, there are currently over 100,000 individuals on the national transplant waiting list awaiting a kidney, heart, and/or liver transplant. This is in contrast with only a fraction of them receiving a living or deceased donor allograft. Given the morbidity, mortality, costs, or absence of supportive treatments, xenotransplant has the potential to address the critical shortage in organ grafts. Last decade research efforts focused on creation of donor organs from pigs with various genes edited out using CRISPR technologies and utilizing non-human primates for trial. Three groups in the United States have recently moved forward with trials in human subjects and obtained initial successful results with pig-to-human heart and kidney xenotransplantation. This review serves as a brief discussion of the recent progress in xenotransplantation research, particularly as it concerns utilization of porcine heart, renal, and liver xenografts in clinical practice.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2022 Carrier, Verma, Mohiuddin, Pascual, Muller, Longchamp, Bhati, Buhler, Maluf and Meier.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/19298
- Xenotransplantation of solid organs in the pig-to-primate model.
- Authors: Ekser B, Rigotti P, Gridelli B, Cooper DK
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Recent progress and remaining hurdles toward clinical xenotransplantation.
- Authors: Meier RPH, Longchamp A, Mohiuddin M, Manuel O, Vrakas G, Maluf DG, Buhler LH, Muller YD, Pascual M
- Issue date: 2021 May
- Kidney xenotransplantation: Recent progress in preclinical research.
- Authors: Yu XH, Deng WY, Jiang HT, Li T, Wang Y
- Issue date: 2021 Mar
- Cardiac Xenotransplantation: Progress in Preclinical Models and Prospects for Clinical Translation.
- Authors: Singh AK, Goerlich CE, Shah AM, Zhang T, Tatarov I, Ayares D, Horvath KA, Mohiuddin MM
- Issue date: 2022
- Renal xenotransplantation: experimental progress and clinical prospects.
- Authors: Wijkstrom M, Iwase H, Paris W, Hara H, Ezzelarab M, Cooper DK
- Issue date: 2017 Apr