Medication for opioid use disorder at hospital discharge is not associated with intravenous antibiotic completion in post-acute care facilities.
JournalTherapeutic Advances in Infectious Disease
PublisherSAGE Publications Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA total of 161 patient encounters were included; the mean age was 43.4 years and 56% of patients were male. In 48% of the encounters, the patient was homeless and in 68% they recently injected drugs. The most common infectious syndrome was osteoarticular (44.1%). Medication for opioid use disorder was prescribed at discharge in 103 of 161 encounters and was newly started in 27 encounters. Similar rates of outpatient parenteral antimicrobial therapy completion were found in those who received (65/103) and did not receive (33/58) medication for opioid use disorder at discharge (odds ratio: 1.29; 95% confidence interval: 0.68-2.54; p = 0.44).
Rights/Terms© The Author(s), 2022.
Keywordinjection drug use
medication for opioid use disorder
outpatient parenteral antimicrobial therapy
substance use disorder
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/19294
- Prescription of Controlled Substances: Benefits and Risks.
- Authors: Preuss CV, Kalava A, King KC
- Issue date: 2022 Jan
- A Comparison of Medication for Opioid Use Disorder Treatment Strategies for Persons Who Inject Drugs With Invasive Bacterial and Fungal Infections.
- Authors: Marks LR, Munigala S, Warren DK, Liss DB, Liang SY, Schwarz ES, Durkin MJ
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 2
- Successful implementation of outpatient parenteral antimicrobial therapy at a medical respite facility for homeless patients.
- Authors: Beieler AM, Dellit TH, Chan JD, Dhanireddy S, Enzian LK, Stone TJ, Dwyer-O'Connor E, Lynch JB
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Effect of initiation of medications for opioid use disorder on hospitalization outcomes for endocarditis and osteomyelitis in a large private hospital system in the United States, 2014-18.
- Authors: Jo Y, Nosal R, Vittori A, Cordova L, Vandever C, Alvarez C, Bartholomew TS, Tookes HE
- Issue date: 2021 Aug
- Outpatient Parenteral Antimicrobial Therapy Plus Buprenorphine for Opioid Use Disorder and Severe Injection-related Infections.
- Authors: Fanucchi LC, Walsh SL, Thornton AC, Nuzzo PA, Lofwall MR
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 3