Bleeding risk with combination intrapleural fibrinolytic and enzyme therapy in pleural infection - an international, multicenter, retrospective cohort study.
Bedawi, Eihab O
Arnold, David T
Uribe Becerra, Juan Pablo
Burks, Allen Cole
Chrissian, Ara A
DiBardino, David M
Fuentes, Xavier Fonseca
Gesthalter, Yaron B
Gilbert, Christopher R
Gorden, Jed A
Ma, Kevin C
Maskell, Nick A
Pickering, Edward M
Revelo, Alberto E
Wilshire, Candice L
Rahman, Najib M
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOverall pleural bleeding incidence was 76/1833=4.1% (95%CI 3.0% to 5.0%). Using a half-dose regimen (tPA 5mg) did not significantly change this risk (6/172=3.5%; p=0.68). Therapeutic anticoagulation (AC) alongside IET was associated with increased bleeding rates (19/197=9.6%) compared to temporarily withholding AC prior to administration of IET (3/118=2.6%, p=0.017). As well as systemic AC, increasing RAPID score, an elevated serum urea and platelets <100x109 L were associated with a significant increase in bleeding risk. However, only RAPID score and use of systemic AC were independently predictive. Apart from pain, non-bleed complications were rare.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2022. Published by Elsevier Inc.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/19252
- Intra-pleural fibrinolytic therapy versus placebo, or a different fibrinolytic agent, in the treatment of adult parapneumonic effusions and empyema.
- Authors: Altmann ES, Crossingham I, Wilson S, Davies HR
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 30
- The Use of Intrapleural Thrombolytic or Fibrinolytic Therapy, or Both, via Indwelling Tunneled Pleural Catheters With or Without Concurrent Anticoagulation Use.
- Authors: Gilbert CR, Wilshire CL, Chang SC, Gorden JA
- Issue date: 2021 Aug
- Dose De-escalation of Intrapleural Tissue Plasminogen Activator Therapy for Pleural Infection. The Alteplase Dose Assessment for Pleural Infection Therapy Project.
- Authors: Popowicz N, Bintcliffe O, De Fonseka D, Blyth KG, Smith NA, Piccolo F, Martin G, Wong D, Edey A, Maskell N, Lee YCG
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- Rethinking the Doses of Tissue Plasminogen Activator and Deoxyribonuclease Administrated Concurrently for Intrapleural Therapy for Complicated Pleural Effusion and Empyema.
- Authors: Innabi A, Surana A, Alzghoul B, Meena N
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 21
- Efficacy of intrapleural instillation of fibrinolytics for treating pleural empyema and parapneumonic effusion: a meta-analysis of randomized control trials.
- Authors: Nie W, Liu Y, Ye J, Shi L, Shao F, Ying K, Zhang R
- Issue date: 2014 Jul