Role of tertiary lymphoid organs in the regulation of immune responses in the periphery.
JournalCellular and Molecular Life Sciences : CMLS
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTertiary lymphoid organs (TLOs) are collections of immune cells resembling secondary lymphoid organs (SLOs) that form in peripheral, non-lymphoid tissues in response to local chronic inflammation. While their formation mimics embryologic lymphoid organogenesis, TLOs form after birth at ectopic sites in response to local inflammation resulting in their ability to mount diverse immune responses. The structure of TLOs can vary from clusters of B and T lymphocytes to highly organized structures with B and T lymphocyte compartments, germinal centers, and lymphatic vessels (LVs) and high endothelial venules (HEVs), allowing them to generate robust immune responses at sites of tissue injury. Although our understanding of the formation and function of these structures has improved greatly over the last 30 years, their role as mediators of protective or pathologic immune responses in certain chronic inflammatory diseases remains enigmatic and may differ based on the local tissue microenvironment in which they form. In this review, we highlight the role of TLOs in the regulation of immune responses in chronic infection, chronic inflammatory and autoimmune diseases, cancer, and solid organ transplantation.
Rights/Terms© 2022. The Author(s), under exclusive licence to Springer Nature Switzerland AG.
Tertiary lymphoid structures
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/19214
- High Endothelial Venules and Lymphatic Vessels in Tertiary Lymphoid Organs: Characteristics, Functions, and Regulation.
- Authors: Ruddle NH
- Issue date: 2016
- High Endothelial Venules and Other Blood Vessels: Critical Regulators of Lymphoid Organ Development and Function.
- Authors: Ager A
- Issue date: 2017
- Chronic Inflammation: A Common Promoter in Tertiary Lymphoid Organ Neogenesis.
- Authors: Luo S, Zhu R, Yu T, Fan H, Hu Y, Mohanta SK, Hu D
- Issue date: 2019
- Follicular dendritic cells, conduits, lymphatic vessels, and high endothelial venules in tertiary lymphoid organs: Parallels with lymph node stroma.
- Authors: Stranford S, Ruddle NH
- Issue date: 2012
- Basics of Inducible Lymphoid Organs.
- Authors: Ruddle NH
- Issue date: 2020