Acute Hematogenous Osteomyelitis Resulting in Atraumatic Pediatric Forearm Compartment Syndrome.
JournalJournal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Global Research & Reviews
PublisherWolters Kluwer Health
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAcute hematogenous osteomyelitis is well described after minor trauma in the pediatric population, with an incidence of 1 to 13 cases per 100,000 individuals. Compartment syndrome (CS) in children is a rare, but potentially devastating disease, classified as "cannot miss diagnosis." Compared with adults, CS may exhibit a variable presentation with a wide range of symptoms in children, often leading to delayed diagnosis. Expeditious diagnosis and treatment of CS is paramount in minimizing adverse sequelae and maximizing potential functional outcome, regardless of etiology. Here, we present a rare case of atraumatic CS resulting from ruptured subperiosteal abscess secondary to acute hematogenous osteomyelitis in a pediatric male patient with 2 weeks of forearm pain and evolving neurologic deficits with initial delay in presentation to our facility. The ramifications of delayed diagnosis or misdiagnosis of CS emphasize the importance of a high index of suspicion despite atypical presentations in the pediatric patient.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2022 The Authors. Published by Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc. on behalf of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/19191
- Acute compartmental syndrome from hematogenous osteomyelitis of the ulna.
- Authors: Lundy DW, Lourie GM, Morrissy RT
- Issue date: 1998 Aug
- Acute hematogenous osteomyelitis. An unusual cause of compartment syndrome in a child.
- Authors: Stott NS, Zionts LE, Holtom PD, Patzakis MJ
- Issue date: 1995 Aug
- Forearm Compartment Syndrome: Evaluation and Management.
- Authors: Kistler JM, Ilyas AM, Thoder JJ
- Issue date: 2018 Feb
- [Hematogenous osteomyelitis of the calcaneus in children: 26 cases].
- Authors: Jenzri M, Safi H, Nessib MN, Smida M, Jalel C, Ammar C, Ben Ghachem M
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Pediatric acute compartment syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Authors: Lin JS, Samora JB
- Issue date: 2020 Jan