Development of a core measurement set for research in degenerative cervical myelopathy: a study protocol (AO Spine RECODE-DCM CMS).
AuthorDavies, Benjamin M
Yanez Touzet, Alvaro
Mowforth, Oliver D
Lee, Keng Siang
Furlan, Julio C
Fehlings, Michael G
Harrop, James S
Zipser, Carl Moritz
Boerger, Timothy F
Guest, James D
McNair, Angus G K
Kwon, Brian K
Kotter, Mark R N
PublisherBMJ Publishing Group
MetadataShow full item record
Data AvailibilityINTRODUCTION: Progress in degenerative cervical myelopathy (DCM) is hindered by inconsistent measurement and reporting. This impedes data aggregation and outcome comparison across studies. This limitation can be reversed by developing a core measurement set (CMS) for DCM research. Previously, the AO Spine Research Objectives and Common Data Elements for DCM (AO Spine RECODE-DCM) defined 'what' should be measured in DCM: the next step of this initiative is to determine 'how' to measure these features. This protocol outlines the steps necessary for the development of a CMS for DCM research and audit. METHODS AND ANALYSIS: The CMS will be developed in accordance with the guidance developed by the Core Outcome Measures in Effectiveness Trials and the Consensus-based Standards for the selection of health Measurement Instruments. The process involves five phases. In phase 1, the steering committee agreed on the constructs to be measured by sourcing consensus definitions from patients, professionals and the literature. In phases 2 and 3, systematic reviews were conducted to identify tools for each construct and aggregate their evidence. Constructs with and without tools were identified, and scoping reviews were conducted for constructs without tools. Evidence on measurement properties, as well as on timing of assessments, are currently being aggregated. These will be presented in phase 4: a consensus meeting where a multi-disciplinary panel of experts will select the instruments that will form the CMS. Following selection, guidance on the implementation of the CMS will be developed and disseminated (phase 5). A preliminary CMS review scheduled at 4 years from release.
Rights/Terms© Author(s) (or their employer(s)) 2022. Re-use permitted under CC BY-NC. No commercial re-use. See rights and permissions. Published by BMJ.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/19127
- Clinical outcome measures and their evidence base in degenerative cervical myelopathy: a systematic review to inform a core measurement set (AO Spine RECODE-DCM).
- Authors: Yanez Touzet A, Bhatti A, Dohle E, Bhatti F, Lee KS, Furlan JC, Fehlings MG, Harrop JS, Zipser CM, Rodrigues-Pinto R, Milligan J, Sarewitz E, Curt A, Rahimi-Movaghar V, Aarabi B, Boerger TF, Tetreault L, Chen R, Guest JD, Kalsi-Ryan S, McNair AG, Kotter M, Davies B, AO Spine RECODE-DCM Steering Committee.
- Issue date: 2022 Jan 19
- International development and implementation of a core measurement set for research and audit studies in implant-based breast reconstruction: a study protocol.
- Authors: Potter S, Davies C, Holcombe C, Weiler-Mithoff E, Skillman J, Vidya R, Masannat Y, Weber W, Heil J, Wilson S, Thrush S, Whisker L, Blazeby J, Metcalfe C, Avery K
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 20
- Gathering Global Perspectives to Establish the Research Priorities and Minimum Data Sets for Degenerative Cervical Myelopathy: Sampling Strategy of the First Round Consensus Surveys of AO Spine RECODE-DCM.
- Authors: Mowforth OD, Khan DZ, Wong MY, Pickering GAE, Dean L, Magee J, Mullarkey L, Hirayama Y, Rihova M, Butler M, Stewart M, Goulson B, Ahmed S, Fricke K, Popa-Nimigean V, Millar Z, Venkatesh A, Willison A, Senthil K, Hazenbiller O, Sarewitz E, Sadler I, Gronlund T, Tetreault L, Harrop JS, Aarabi B, Rahimi-Movaghar V, Kurpad SN, Guest JD, Wilson JR, Kwon BK, Fehlings MG, McNair AGK, Davies BM, Kotter MRN, AO Spine RECODE-DCM Steering Committee and AO Spine RECODE-DCM Consortium.
- Issue date: 2022 Feb
- RE-CODE DCM (<i>RE</i>search Objectives and <i>C</i>ommon <i>D</i>ata <i>E</i>lements for <i>D</i>egenerative <i>C</i>ervical <i>M</i>yelopathy): A Consensus Process to Improve Research Efficiency in DCM, Through Establishment of a Standardized Dataset for Clinical Research and the Definition of the Research Priorities.
- Authors: Davies BM, Khan DZ, Mowforth OD, McNair AGK, Gronlund T, Kolias AG, Tetreault L, Starkey ML, Sadler I, Sarewitz E, Houlton D, Carter J, Kalsi-Ryan S, Aarabi B, Kwon BK, Kurpad SN, Harrop J, Wilson JR, Grossman R, Curt A, Fehlings MG, Kotter MRN
- Issue date: 2019 May
- The development of lived experience-centered word clouds to support research uncertainty gathering in degenerative cervical myelopathy: results from an engagement process and protocol for their evaluation, via a nested randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: Davies BM, Mowforth OD, Khan DZ, Yang X, Stacpoole SRL, Hazenbiller O, Gronlund T, Tetreault L, Kalsi-Ryan S, Starkey ML, Sadler I, Sarewitz E, Houlton D, Carter J, Howard E, Rahimi-Movaghar V, Guest JD, Aarabi B, Kwon BK, Kurpad SN, Harrop J, Wilson JR, Grossman R, Smith EK, McNair AGK, Fehlings MG, Kotter MRN
- Issue date: 2021 Jun 25