Type I interferons and TGF-β cooperate to induce liver fibrosis during HIV-1 infection under antiretroviral therapy.
PublisherAmerican Society for Clinical Investigation
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLiver diseases have become a major comorbidity health concern in people living with HIV-1 (PLWH) under combination antiretroviral therapy (cART). To investigate if HIV-1 infection and cART interact to lead to liver diseases, humanized mice reconstituted with progenitor cells from human fetal livers were infected with HIV-1 and treated with cART. We report here that chronic HIV-1 infection with cART induced hepatitis and liver fibrosis in humanized mice, associated with accumulation of M2-like macrophages (M2LM), elevated TGFβ and interferon signaling in the liver. Interestingly, IFN-I and TGFβ cooperatively activated human hepatic stellate cells (HepSC) in vitro. Mechanistically, IFN-I enhanced TGFβ-induced SMAD2/3 activation in HepSC. Finally, blockade of IFN-I signaling reversed HIV/cART-induced liver diseases in humanized mice. Consistent with the findings in humanized mice with HIV-1 and cART, we detected elevated markers of liver injury, M2-like macrophages, and of interferon signaling in blood specimens from PLWH over healthy individuals. These findings identify the IFN-I/M2LM/HepSC axis in HIV/cART-induced liver diseases and suggest that inhibiting IFN-I signaling or M2LM may provide a novel therapeutic strategy for treating HIV/cART-associated liver diseases in PLWH under ART.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/19050
- Pathogenic Role of Type I Interferons in HIV-Induced Immune Impairments in Humanized Mice.
- Authors: Su L
- Issue date: 2019 Jun
- Blocking type I interferon signaling enhances T cell recovery and reduces HIV-1 reservoirs.
- Authors: Cheng L, Ma J, Li J, Li D, Li G, Li F, Zhang Q, Yu H, Yasui F, Ye C, Tsao LC, Hu Z, Su L, Zhang L
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 3
- cART Restores Transient Responsiveness to IFN Type 1 in HIV-Infected Humanized Mice.
- Authors: Gruenbach M, Muller CKS, Schlaepfer E, Baroncini L, Russenberger D, Kadzioch NP, Escher B, Schlapschy M, Skerra A, Bredl S, Speck RF
- Issue date: 2022 Nov 9
- Specific Activation In Vivo of HIV-1 by a Bromodomain Inhibitor from Monocytic Cells in Humanized Mice under Antiretroviral Therapy.
- Authors: Li G, Zhang Z, Reszka-Blanco N, Li F, Chi L, Ma J, Jeffrey J, Cheng L, Su L
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 15
- Combination antiretroviral therapy is associated with reduction in liver fibrosis scores in patients with HIV and HBV co-infection.
- Authors: Yang R, Gui X, Ke H, Xiong Y, Gao S
- Issue date: 2021 Dec 19