Novel Giomers Incorporated with Antibacterial Quaternary Ammonium Monomers to Inhibit Secondary Caries.
Xu, Hockin H K
JournalPathogens (Basel, Switzerland)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe objective of this study was to develop novel modified giomers by incorporating the antibacterial quaternary ammonium monomers (QAMs), dimethylaminododecyl methacrylate (DMADDM) or dimethylaminohexadecyl methacrylate (DMAHDM) into a commercial giomer. The material performances including mechanical properties, surface characteristics, color data, cytotoxicity and fluoride release of the novel giomers were evaluated. Antibacterial activity against severe early childhood caries (S-ECC) saliva-derived biofilms was assessed by lactic acid production measurement, MTT assay, biofilm staining and 16S rRNA sequencing. A rat model was developed and the anti-caries effect was investigated by micro-CT scanning and modified Keyes' scoring. The results showed that the material properties of the QAMs groups were comparable to those of the control group. The novel giomers significantly inhibited lactic acid production and biofilm viability of S-ECC saliva-derived biofilms. Furthermore, caries-related genera such as Streptococcus and Lactobacillus reduced in QAMs groups, which showed their potential to change the microbial compositions. In the rat model, lesion depth, mineral loss and scoring of the QAMs groups were significantly reduced, without side effects on oral tissues. In conclusion, the novel giomers incorporated with antibacterial QAMs could inhibit the cariogenic biofilms and help prevent secondary caries, with great potential for future application in restorative treatment.
Keywordantibacterial quaternary ammonium monomers
early childhood caries
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/19027
- Synthesis of new antibacterial quaternary ammonium monomer for incorporation into CaP nanocomposite.
- Authors: Zhou C, Weir MD, Zhang K, Deng D, Cheng L, Xu HH
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Do quaternary ammonium monomers induce drug resistance in cariogenic, endodontic and periodontal bacterial species?
- Authors: Wang S, Wang H, Ren B, Li H, Weir MD, Zhou X, Oates TW, Cheng L, Xu HHK
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- Development of di-methacrylate quaternary ammonium monomers with antibacterial activity.
- Authors: Fanfoni L, Marsich E, Turco G, Breschi L, Cadenaro M
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 15
- Anti-bacterial and anti-microbial aging effects of resin-based sealant modified by quaternary ammonium monomers.
- Authors: Huang Y, Li H, Zhu CG, Zhou X, Wang H, Han Q, Ren B, Cheng L
- Issue date: 2021 Sep
- Anti-caries effect of resin infiltrant modified by quaternary ammonium monomers.
- Authors: Yu J, Huang X, Zhou X, Han Q, Zhou W, Liang J, Xu HHK, Ren B, Peng X, Weir MD, Li M, Cheng L
- Issue date: 2020 Jun