Health Equity in Pediatric Drug Development: Translating Aspiration into Operation.
AuthorFolayan, Morenike Oluwatoyin
Jafta, Lungile P
Sam-Agudu, Nadia A
Santana, Victor M
Turner, Mark A
JournalTherapeutic Innovation & Regulatory Science
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe concept of health equity-the attainment of the highest possible level of health for all members of society-requires equitable access to all aspects of healthcare, including pediatric drug development. However, many communities are under-represented in pediatric drug development programs. Barriers to participation include geographic, economic, racial/ethnic bias, legal, cultural, linguistic, and other factors. While there is no "one size fits all" approach to addressing these barriers, community engagement and collaboration is recognized by the Centers for Disease Control, the World Health Organization, and other global health organizations as a cornerstone for building a more equitable healthcare system. In this article, we will present case studies of stakeholder and community engagement in clinical research for rare diseases and other areas of healthcare, as examples of strategies and practices for actively involving under-represented communities and fostering their participation in pediatric drug development programs. These studies may serve as templates for facilitating equity in pediatric drug development from aspiration into operation.
Rights/Terms© 2022. The Author(s).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18991
- Community Health Worker Programs to Improve Healthcare Access and Equity: Are They Only Relevant to Low- and Middle-Income Countries?
- Authors: Javanparast S, Windle A, Freeman T, Baum F
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 1
- Community engagement to improve access to healthcare: a comparative case study to advance implementation science for transgender health equity.
- Authors: Thompson HM, Clement AM, Ortiz R, Preston TM, Quantrell ALW, Enfield M, King AJ, Klosinski L, Reback CJ, Hamilton A, Milburn N
- Issue date: 2022 Jul 31
- The future of Cochrane Neonatal.
- Authors: Soll RF, Ovelman C, McGuire W
- Issue date: 2020 Nov
- A patient and family data domain collection framework for identifying disparities in pediatrics: results from the pediatric health equity collaborative.
- Authors: Tan-McGrory A, Bennett-AbuAyyash C, Gee S, Dabney K, Cowden JD, Williams L, Rafton S, Nettles A, Pagura S, Holmes L, Goleman J, Caldwell L, Page J, Oceanic P, McMullen EJ, Lopera A, Beiter S, López L
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 31