The Relationship of Falls With Achieved 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Levels From Vitamin D Supplementation: The STURDY Trial.
AuthorMichos, Erin D
Kalyani, Rita R
Blackford, Amanda L
Sternberg, Alice L
Mitchell, Christine M
Juraschek, Stephen P
Schrack, Jennifer A
Wanigatunga, Amal A
Roth, David L
Christenson, Robert H
Miller, Edgar R
Appel, Lawrence J
JournalJournal of the Endocrine Society
PublisherOxford University Press
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAt baseline, mean (SD) age was 77.1 (5.4) years and 25(OH)D was 22.1 (5.1) ng/mL; 43.0% were women and 21.5% non-White. A total of 395 participants experienced ≥ 1 fall; 294 experienced ≥ 1 consequential fall. There was no association between absolute achieved 25(OH)D and incident first fall (30-39 vs < 30 ng/mL hazard ratio [HR], 0.93; 95% CI, 0.74-1.16; ≥40 vs < 30 ng/mL HR, 1.09; 95% CI, 0.82-1.46; adjusted overall P = 0.67), nor absolute or relative change in 25(OH)D. For incident consequential first fall, the HR (95% CI) comparing absolute 25(OH)D ≥ 40 vs < 30 ng/mL was 1.38 (0.99-1.90).
Data AvailibilityDeidentified participant data and data dictionary will be available at https://archive.data.jhu.edu/, contingent upon institutional review board approval.
Rights/Terms© The Author(s) 2022. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the Endocrine Society.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18985
- The effects of vitamin D supplementation on frailty in older adults at risk for falls.
- Authors: Cai Y, Wanigatunga AA, Mitchell CM, Urbanek JK, Miller ER 3rd, Juraschek SP, Michos ED, Kalyani RR, Roth DL, Appel LJ, Schrack JA
- Issue date: 2022 Apr 10
- The effects of vitamin D supplementation on types of falls.
- Authors: Wanigatunga AA, Sternberg AL, Blackford AL, Cai Y, Mitchell CM, Roth DL, Miller ER 3rd, Szanton SL, Juraschek SP, Michos ED, Schrack JA, Appel LJ, STURDY Collaborative Research Group
- Issue date: 2021 Oct
- Effects of Vitamin D Supplementation on Orthostatic Hypotension: Results From the STURDY Trial.
- Authors: Juraschek SP, Miller ER, Wanigatunga AA, Schrack JA, Michos ED, Mitchell CM, Kalyani RR, Appel LJ
- Issue date: 2022 Feb 1
- The Effects of Four Doses of Vitamin D Supplements on Falls in Older Adults : A Response-Adaptive, Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Authors: Appel LJ, Michos ED, Mitchell CM, Blackford AL, Sternberg AL, Miller ER 3rd, Juraschek SP, Schrack JA, Szanton SL, Charleston J, Minotti M, Baksh SN, Christenson RH, Coresh J, Drye LT, Guralnik JM, Kalyani RR, Plante TB, Shade DM, Roth DL, Tonascia J, STURDY Collaborative Research Group
- Issue date: 2021 Feb
- The association of vitamin D supplementation and serum vitamin D levels with physical activity in older adults: Results from a randomized trial.
- Authors: Schrack JA, Cai Y, Urbanek JK, Wanigatunga AA, Mitchell CM, Miller ER 3rd, Guralnik JM, Juraschek SP, Michos ED, Roth DL, Appel LJ
- Issue date: 2023 Feb 23