Migraine-associated common genetic variants confer greater risk of posterior vs. anterior circulation ischemic stroke☆.
Access full-text PDFOpen Access
Check access options
Check access options
Mitchell, B D
Giese, A K
Donahue, K L
Bouts, M J R J
McIntosh, E C
Mocking, S J T
Dalca, A V
Cole, J W
McArdle, P F
Broderick, J P
Kissela, B M
Kleindorfer, D O
Meschia, J F
Sacco, R L
Worrall, B B
Kittner, S J
Rost, N S
JournalJournal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjective: To examine potential genetic relationships between migraine and the two distinct phenotypes posterior circulation ischemic stroke (PCiS) and anterior circulation ischemic stroke (ACiS), we generated migraine polygenic risk scores (PRSs) and compared these between PCiS and ACiS, and separately vs. non-stroke control subjects. Methods: Acute ischemic stroke cases were classified as PCiS or ACiS based on lesion location on diffusion-weighted MRI. Exclusion criteria were lesions in both vascular territories or uncertain territory; supratentorial PCiS with ipsilateral fetal posterior cerebral artery; and cases with atrial fibrillation. We generated migraine PRS for three migraine phenotypes (any migraine; migraine without aura; migraine with aura) using publicly available GWAS data and compared mean PRSs separately for PCiS and ACiS vs. non-stroke control subjects, and between each stroke phenotype. Results: Our primary analyses included 464 PCiS and 1079 ACiS patients with genetic European ancestry. Compared to non-stroke control subjects (n=15396), PRSs of any migraine were associated with increased risk of PCiS (p=0.01–0.03) and decreased risk of ACiS (p=0.010–0.039). Migraine without aura PRSs were significantly associated with PCiS (p=0.008–0.028), but not with ACiS. When comparing PCiS vs. ACiS directly, migraine PRSs were higher in PCiS vs. ACiS for any migraine (p=0.001–0.010) and migraine without aura (p=0.032–0.048). Migraine with aura PRS did not show a differential association in our analyses. Conclusions: Our results suggest a stronger genetic overlap between unspecified migraine and migraine without aura with PCiS compared to ACiS. Possible shared mechanisms include dysregulation of cerebral vessel endothelial function. © 2022 The Authors
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2022 The Authors. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18956
- Detailed phenotyping of posterior vs. anterior circulation ischemic stroke: a multi-center MRI study.
- Authors: Frid P, Drake M, Giese AK, Wasselius J, Schirmer MD, Donahue KL, Cloonan L, Irie R, Bouts MJRJ, McIntosh EC, Mocking SJT, Dalca AV, Sridharan R, Xu H, Giralt-Steinhauer E, Holmegaard L, Jood K, Roquer J, Cole JW, McArdle PF, Broderick JP, Jimenez-Conde J, Jern C, Kissela BM, Kleindorfer DO, Lemmens R, Meschia JF, Rundek T, Sacco RL, Schmidt R, Sharma P, Slowik A, Thijs V, Woo D, Worrall BB, Kittner SJ, Mitchell BD, Petersson J, Rosand J, Golland P, Wu O, Rost NS, Lindgren A, Stroke Genetics Network (SiGN), the International Stroke Genetics Consortium (ISGC), and the MRI-Genetics Interface Exploration (MRI-GENIE) Study
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- Intravenous Thrombolysis in Posterior Circulation Stroke.
- Authors: Dorňák T, Král M, Šaňák D, Kaňovský P
- Issue date: 2019
- Shared genetic basis for migraine and ischemic stroke: A genome-wide analysis of common variants.
- Authors: Malik R, Freilinger T, Winsvold BS, Anttila V, Vander Heiden J, Traylor M, de Vries B, Holliday EG, Terwindt GM, Sturm J, Bis JC, Hopewell JC, Ferrari MD, Rannikmae K, Wessman M, Kallela M, Kubisch C, Fornage M, Meschia JF, Lehtimäki T, Sudlow C, Clarke R, Chasman DI, Mitchell BD, Maguire J, Kaprio J, Farrall M, Raitakari OT, Kurth T, Ikram MA, Reiner AP, Longstreth WT Jr, Rothwell PM, Strachan DP, Sharma P, Seshadri S, Quaye L, Cherkas L, Schürks M, Rosand J, Ligthart L, Boncoraglio GB, Davey Smith G, van Duijn CM, Stefansson K, Worrall BB, Nyholt DR, Markus HS, van den Maagdenberg AM, Cotsapas C, Zwart JA, Palotie A, International Headache Genetics Consortium, Dichgans M, METASTROKE Collaboration of the International Stroke Genetics Consortium
- Issue date: 2015 May 26
- Atrial fibrillation and migraine with aura in young adults with ischemic stroke.
- Authors: Gollion C, Gazagnes J, Fabry V, Barbieux-Guillot M, Lerebours F, Larrue V
- Issue date: 2021 Mar
- Migraine as a risk factor for young patients with ischemic stroke: a case-control study.
- Authors: Abanoz Y, Gülen Abanoz Y, Gündüz A, Uludüz D, İnce B, Yavuz B, Göksan B
- Issue date: 2017 Apr