PublisherSAGE Publications Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe investigated whether the COVID-19 pandemic affected rates of interpersonal violence (IV). A retrospective study was performed using city-wide crime data and the trauma registry at one high-volume trauma center pre-pandemic [PP] (March-October 2019) and during the pandemic [PA] (March-October 2020). The proportion of trauma admissions attributable to IV remained unchanged from PP to PA, but IV increased as a proportion of overall crime (34% to 41%, p<0.001). Assaults decreased, but there was a proportionate increase in penetrating trauma which was mostly attributable to firearms. Despite a reduction in admissions due to IV in the first 4 months of the pandemic, the rates of violence subsequently exceeded that of the same months in 2019. The cause of the observed increase of IV is multi-factorial. Future studies aimed at identifying the root causes are essential to mitigate violence during this ongoing health crisis. © The Author(s) 2022.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18829
- Examining Violence Against Women at a Regional Level 1 Trauma Center During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Authors: Tracy BM, Whitson AK, Chen JC, Weiss BD, Sims CA
- Issue date: 2022 Mar
- Trends in Violent Penetrating Injuries During the First Year of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Authors: Pino EC, Gebo E, Dugan E, Jay J
- Issue date: 2022 Feb 1
- Different Crises, Different Patterns of Trauma. The Impact of a Social Crisis and the COVID-19 Health Pandemic on a High Violence Area.
- Authors: Ramos Perkis JP, Achurra Tirado P, Raykar N, Zinco Acosta A, Muñoz Alarcon C, Puyana JC, Ottolino Lavarte P
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- Locked down: Impact of COVID-19 restrictions on trauma presentations to the emergency department.
- Authors: Venter A, Lewis CM, Saffy P, Chadinha LP
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 4
- How Did the Number and Type of Injuries in Patients Presenting to a Regional Level I Trauma Center Change During the COVID-19 Pandemic with a Stay-at-home Order?
- Authors: Sherman WF, Khadra HS, Kale NN, Wu VJ, Gladden PB, Lee OC
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 1