Effect of calcium hydroxide on morphology and physicochemical properties of Enterococcus faecalis biofilm.
Khosravi, Mohammad Rastegar
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCalcium hydroxide Ca(OH)2 has been used as an intracanal medicament to targets microbial biofilms and avert secondary infection in the root canal system. This study evaluated the effects of this material on the morphology and physicochemical properties of an established in-vitro biofilm of Enterococcus faecalis. A biofilm of E. faecalis was grown in multichannel plates. The chemicals including Ca2+, OH-, and saturated Ca(OH)2 (ie 21.6 mM) were prepared in order to evaluate which component eradicated or amplified biofilm structure. Various biochemical and microscopic methods were used to investigate the properties of the biofilm. Biofilms treated with Ca(OH)2 absorbed more Ca2+ because of the alkaline pH of the environment and the ions affected the physicochemical properties of the E. faecalis biofilm. A denser biofilm with more cavities and a granular surface was observed in the presence of Ca2+ ions. This resulted in a decrease in the surface-to-biofilm ratio with increases in its biomass, thickness, colony size, and volume. Calcium hydroxide did not destroy E. faecalis biofilms but rather contributed to the biofilm structure. This in-vitro study sheds light on a missing link in the formation of E. faecalis biofilm in which the Ca2+ in Ca(OH)2.
Rights/Terms© 2022. The Author(s).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18823
- [The effect of a combined nanoparticulate/calcium hydroxide medication on the biofilm of Enterococcus faecalis in starvation phase].
- Authors: Zhang FH, Li M, Wei ZJ, Zhao B
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Cysteamine Enhances Biofilm Eradication Efficacy of Calcium Hydroxide.
- Authors: Guo W, Quah SY, Lim KC, Yu VS, Tan KS
- Issue date: 2016 May
- The comparison of intracanal medicaments, diode laser and photodynamic therapy on removing the biofilm of Enterococcus faecalis and Candida albicans in the root canal system (ex-vivo study).
- Authors: Moradi Eslami L, Vatanpour M, Aminzadeh N, Mehrvarzfar P, Taheri S
- Issue date: 2019 Jun
- Susceptibility of Enterococcus faecalis biofilm to antibiotics and calcium hydroxide.
- Authors: Chai WL, Hamimah H, Cheng SC, Sallam AA, Abdullah M
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- Effectiveness of antibiotic medicaments against biofilm formation of Enterococcus faecalis and Porphyromonas gingivalis.
- Authors: Sabrah AH, Yassen GH, Gregory RL
- Issue date: 2013 Nov