Genetic and phylogenetic uncoupling of structure and function in human transmodal cortex.
AuthorValk, Sofie L
Bethlehem, Richard A I
Vos de Wael, Reinder
Masouleh, Shahrzad Kharabian
Yeo, B T Thomas
Eickhoff, Simon B
Bernhardt, Boris C
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBrain structure scaffolds intrinsic function, supporting cognition and ultimately behavioral flexibility. However, it remains unclear how a static, genetically controlled architecture supports flexible cognition and behavior. Here, we synthesize genetic, phylogenetic and cognitive analyses to understand how the macroscale organization of structure-function coupling across the cortex can inform its role in cognition. In humans, structure-function coupling was highest in regions of unimodal cortex and lowest in transmodal cortex, a pattern that was mirrored by a reduced alignment with heritable connectivity profiles. Structure-function uncoupling in macaques had a similar spatial distribution, but we observed an increased coupling between structure and function in association cortices relative to humans. Meta-analysis suggested regions with the least genetic control (low heritable correspondence and different across primates) are linked to social-cognition and autobiographical memory. Our findings suggest that genetic and evolutionary uncoupling of structure and function in different transmodal systems may support the emergence of complex forms of cognition.
Rights/Terms© 2022. The Author(s).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18822
- From sensation to cognition.
- Authors: Mesulam MM
- Issue date: 1998 Jun
- Modes of operation: A topographic neural gradient supporting stimulus dependent and independent cognition.
- Authors: Murphy C, Wang HT, Konu D, Lowndes R, Margulies DS, Jefferies E, Smallwood J
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 1
- Microstructural and functional gradients are increasingly dissociated in transmodal cortices.
- Authors: Paquola C, Vos De Wael R, Wagstyl K, Bethlehem RAI, Hong SJ, Seidlitz J, Bullmore ET, Evans AC, Misic B, Margulies DS, Smallwood J, Bernhardt BC
- Issue date: 2019 May
- Macroscale cortical organization and a default-like apex transmodal network in the marmoset monkey.
- Authors: Buckner RL, Margulies DS
- Issue date: 2019 Apr 29
- Echoes of the Brain: Local-Scale Representation of Whole-Brain Functional Networks within Transmodal Cortex.
- Authors: Braga RM, Leech R
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 1