Ulcerative Colitis: Novel Epithelial Insights Provided by Single Cell RNA Sequencing.
AuthorSerigado, Joao M
Hines, William C
Hanson, Joshua A
JournalFrontiers in Medicine
PublisherFrontiers Media S.A.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUlcerative Colitis (UC) is a chronic inflammatory disease of the intestinal tract for which a definitive etiology is yet unknown. Both genetic and environmental factors have been implicated in the development of UC. Recently, single cell RNA sequencing (scRNA-seq) technology revealed cell subpopulations contributing to the pathogenesis of UC and brought new insight into the pathways that connect genome to pathology. This review describes key scRNA-seq findings in two major studies by Broad Institute and University of Oxford, investigating the transcriptomic landscape of epithelial cells in UC. We focus on five major findings: (1) the identification of BEST4 + cells, (2) colonic microfold (M) cells, (3) detailed comparison of the transcriptomes of goblet cells, and (4) colonocytes and (5) stem cells in health and disease. In analyzing the two studies, we identify the commonalities and differences in methodologies, results, and conclusions, offering possible explanations, and validated several cell cluster markers. In systematizing the results, we hope to offer a framework that the broad scientific GI community and GI clinicians can use to replicate or corroborate the extensive new findings that RNA-seq offers.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2022 Serigado, Foulke-Abel, Hines, Hanson, In and Kovbasnjuk.
colonic microfold cells
single cell RNA sequencing
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18807
- Identification of Novel Population-Specific Cell Subsets in Chinese Ulcerative Colitis Patients Using Single-Cell RNA Sequencing.
- Authors: Li G, Zhang B, Hao J, Chu X, Wiestler M, Cornberg M, Xu CJ, Liu X, Li Y
- Issue date: 2021
- Single-Cell Transcriptional Survey of Ileal-Anal Pouch Immune Cells From Ulcerative Colitis Patients.
- Authors: Devlin JC, Axelrad J, Hine AM, Chang S, Sarkar S, Lin JD, Ruggles KV, Hudesman D, Cadwell K, Loke P
- Issue date: 2021 Apr
- Landscape of cell heterogeneity and evolutionary trajectory in ulcerative colitis-associated colon cancer revealed by single-cell RNA sequencing.
- Authors: Wang Q, Wang Z, Zhang Z, Zhang W, Zhang M, Shen Z, Ye Y, Jiang K, Wang S
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 30
- Development, validation and implementation of an in vitro model for the study of metabolic and immune function in normal and inflamed human colonic epithelium.
- Authors: Pedersen G
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Cancer-predicting transcriptomic and epigenetic signatures revealed for ulcerative colitis in patient-derived epithelial organoids.
- Authors: Sarvestani SK, Signs SA, Lefebvre V, Mack S, Ni Y, Morton A, Chan ER, Li X, Fox P, Ting A, Kalady MF, Cruise M, Ashburn J, Stiene J, Lai W, Liska D, Xiang S, Huang EH
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 19