Evaluation Challenges for the Application of Extended Reality Devices in Medicine.
Joyner, Janell S
Kim, Andrea S
Grossmann, Rafael J
Huynh, Tran Tu
Murthi, Sarah B
JournalJournal of Digital Imaging
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAugmented and virtual reality devices are being actively investigated and implemented for a wide range of medical uses. However, significant gaps in the evaluation of these medical devices and applications hinder their regulatory evaluation. Addressing these gaps is critical to demonstrating the devices’ safety and effectiveness. We outline the key technical and clinical evaluation challenges discussed during the US Food and Drug Administration’s public workshop, “Medical Extended Reality: Toward Best Evaluation Practices for Virtual and Augmented Reality in Medicine” and future directions for evaluation method development. Evaluation challenges were categorized into several key technical and clinical areas. Finally, we highlight current efforts in the standards communities and illustrate connections between the evaluation challenges and the intended uses of the medical extended reality (MXR) devices. Participants concluded that additional research is needed to assess the safety and effectiveness of MXR devices across the use cases. © 2022, This is a U.S. government work and not under copyright protection in the U.S.; foreign copyright protection may apply.
Rights/Terms© 2022. This is a U.S. government work and not under copyright protection in the U.S.; foreign copyright protection may apply.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18793
- Nextmed: Automatic Imaging Segmentation, 3D Reconstruction, and 3D Model Visualization Platform Using Augmented and Virtual Reality.
- Authors: González Izard S, Sánchez Torres R, Alonso Plaza Ó, Juanes Méndez JA, García-Peñalvo FJ
- Issue date: 2020 May 23
- Virtual interaction and visualisation of 3D medical imaging data with VTK and Unity.
- Authors: Wheeler G, Deng S, Toussaint N, Pushparajah K, Schnabel JA, Simpson JM, Gomez A
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Applying Modern Virtual and Augmented Reality Technologies to Medical Images and Models.
- Authors: Sutherland J, Belec J, Sheikh A, Chepelev L, Althobaity W, Chow BJW, Mitsouras D, Christensen A, Rybicki FJ, La Russa DJ
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Augmented, Mixed, and Virtual Reality-Based Head-Mounted Devices for Medical Education: Systematic Review.
- Authors: Barteit S, Lanfermann L, Bärnighausen T, Neuhann F, Beiersmann C
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 8
- The future of Cochrane Neonatal.
- Authors: Soll RF, Ovelman C, McGuire W
- Issue date: 2020 Nov