Rehabilitation at the Time of Pandemic: Patient Journey Recommendations.
AuthorNegm, Ahmed M
Meng, Victoria J
Santos, Flavia H
Rosario, Emily R
Pinto, Shanti M
Falvey, Jason R
Reistetter, Timothy A
Dal Bello-Haas, Vanina
Bean, Jonathan F
Heyn, Patricia C
JournalFrontiers in Aging Neuroscience
PublisherFrontiers Media S.A.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE: The World Health Organization (WHO) declared severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) a pandemic in March 2020, causing almost 3.5 million coronavirus disease (COVID-19) related deaths worldwide. The COVID-19 pandemic has imposed a significant burden on healthcare systems, economies, and social systems in many countries around the world. The access and delivery of rehabilitation care were severely disrupted, and patients have faced several challenges during the COVID-19 outbreak. These challenges include addressing new functional impairments faced by survivors of COVID-19 and infection prevention to avoid the virus spread to healthcare workers and other patients not infected with COVID-19. In this scoping review, we aim to develop rehabilitation recommendations during the COVID-19 pandemic across the continuum of rehabilitation care. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Established frameworks were used to guide the scoping review methodology. Medline, Embase, Pubmed, CINAHL databases from inception to August 1, 2020, and prominent rehabilitation organizations' websites were searched. STUDY SELECTION: We included articles and reports if they were focused on rehabilitation recommendations for COVID-19 survivors or the general population at the time of the COVID-19 pandemic. DATA EXTRACTION: Two of our team members used the pre-tested data extraction form to extract data from included full-text articles. The strength and the quality of the extracted recommendations were evaluated by two reviewers using the GRADE (Grading of Recommendations, Assessment, Development and Evaluation) approach. RESULTS: We retrieved 6,468 citations, of which 2,086 were eligible after removing duplicates. We excluded 1,980 citations based on the title and the abstract. Of the screened full-text articles, we included 106 studies. We present recommendations based on the patient journey at the time of the pandemic. We assessed the evidence to be of overall fair quality and strong for the recommendations. CONCLUSION: We have combined the latest research results and accumulated expert opinions on rehabilitation to develop acute and post-acute rehabilitation recommendations in response to the global COVID-19 pandemic. Further updates are warranted in order to incorporate the emerging evidence into rehabilitation guidelines.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2022 Negm, Salopek, Zaide, Meng, Prada, Chang, Zanwar, Santos, Philippou, Rosario, Faieta, Pinto, Falvey, Kumar, Reistetter, Dal Bello-Haas, Bhandari, Bean and Heyn.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18730
- Rehabilitation Care at the Time of Coronavirus Disease-19 (COVID-19) Pandemic: A Scoping Review of Health System Recommendations.
- Authors: Negm AM, Salopek A, Zaide M, Meng VJ, Prada C, Chang Y, Zanwar P, Santos FH, Philippou E, Rosario ER, Faieta J, Falvey JR, Kumar A, Reistetter TA, Dal Bello-Haas V, Bean JF, Bhandari M, Heyn PC
- Issue date: 2021
- Beyond the black stump: rapid reviews of health research issues affecting regional, rural and remote Australia.
- Authors: Osborne SR, Alston LV, Bolton KA, Whelan J, Reeve E, Wong Shee A, Browne J, Walker T, Versace VL, Allender S, Nichols M, Backholer K, Goodwin N, Lewis S, Dalton H, Prael G, Curtin M, Brooks R, Verdon S, Crockett J, Hodgins G, Walsh S, Lyle DM, Thompson SC, Browne LJ, Knight S, Pit SW, Jones M, Gillam MH, Leach MJ, Gonzalez-Chica DA, Muyambi K, Eshetie T, Tran K, May E, Lieschke G, Parker V, Smith A, Hayes C, Dunlop AJ, Rajappa H, White R, Oakley P, Holliday S
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- Travel-related control measures to contain the COVID-19 pandemic: a rapid review.
- Authors: Burns J, Movsisyan A, Stratil JM, Coenen M, Emmert-Fees KM, Geffert K, Hoffmann S, Horstick O, Laxy M, Pfadenhauer LM, von Philipsborn P, Sell K, Voss S, Rehfuess E
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 5
- A Systematic Review on Guidelines and Recommendations for Urology Standard of Care During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Authors: Heldwein FL, Loeb S, Wroclawski ML, Sridhar AN, Carneiro A, Lima FS, Teoh JY
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 15
- Interventions to support the resilience and mental health of frontline health and social care professionals during and after a disease outbreak, epidemic or pandemic: a mixed methods systematic review.
- Authors: Pollock A, Campbell P, Cheyne J, Cowie J, Davis B, McCallum J, McGill K, Elders A, Hagen S, McClurg D, Torrens C, Maxwell M
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 5