Neuronal mTOR Outposts: Implications for Translation, Signaling, and Plasticity.
JournalFrontiers in Cellular Neuroscience
PublisherFrontiers Media S.A.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe kinase mTOR is a signaling hub for pathways that regulate cellular growth. In neurons, the subcellular localization of mTOR takes on increased significance. Here, we review findings on the localization of mTOR in axons and offer a perspective on how these may impact our understanding of nervous system development, function, and disease. We propose a model where mTOR accumulates in local foci we term mTOR outposts, which can be found in processes distant from a neuron's cell body. In this model, pathways that funnel through mTOR are gated by local outposts to spatially select and amplify local signaling. The presence or absence of mTOR outposts in a segment of axon or dendrite may determine whether regional mTOR-dependent signals, such as nutrient and growth factor signaling, register toward neuron-wide responses. In this perspective, we present the emerging evidence for mTOR outposts in neurons, their putative roles as spatial gatekeepers of signaling inputs, and the implications of the mTOR outpost model for neuronal protein synthesis, signal transduction, and synaptic plasticity.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2022 Atlas, Romanowski, Bunce and Poulopoulos.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18669
- Palladin Is a Neuron-Specific Translational Target of mTOR Signaling That Regulates Axon Morphogenesis.
- Authors: Umegaki Y, Brotons AM, Nakanishi Y, Luo Z, Zhang H, Bonni A, Ikeuchi Y
- Issue date: 2018 May 23
- FMRP regulates mRNAs encoding distinct functions in the cell body and dendrites of CA1 pyramidal neurons.
- Authors: Hale CR, Sawicka K, Mora K, Fak JJ, Kang JJ, Cutrim P, Cialowicz K, Carroll TS, Darnell RB
- Issue date: 2021 Dec 23
- Autoinhibition of kinesin-1 is essential to the dendrite-specific localization of Golgi outposts.
- Authors: Kelliher MT, Yue Y, Ng A, Kamiyama D, Huang B, Verhey KJ, Wildonger J
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 2
- Local translation and directional steering in axons.
- Authors: Lin AC, Holt CE
- Issue date: 2007 Aug 22
- Mammalian Target of Rapamycin: Its Role in Early Neural Development and in Adult and Aged Brain Function.
- Authors: Garza-Lombó C, Gonsebatt ME
- Issue date: 2016