Delineating the Molecular and Phenotypic Spectrum of the -Related Cone Photoreceptor Disorder in Pakistani Families.
Sheikh, Shakeel A
Waryah, Yar M
Shaikh, Rehan S
Waryah, Ali M
Ahmed, Zubair M
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCone photoreceptor dysfunction represents a clinically heterogenous group of disorders characterized by nystagmus, photophobia, reduced central or color vision, and macular dystrophy. Here, we described the molecular findings and clinical manifestations of achromatopsia, a partial or total absence of color vision, co-segregating with three known missense variants of CNGA3 in three large consanguineous Pakistani families. Fundus examination and optical coherence tomography (OCT) imaging revealed myopia, thin retina, retinal pigment epithelial cells loss at fovea/perifovea, and macular atrophy. Combination of Sanger and whole exome sequencing revealed three known homozygous missense variants (c.827A>G, p.(Asn276Ser); c.847C>T, p.(Arg283Trp); c.1279C>T, p.(Arg427Cys)) in CNGA3, the α-subunit of the cyclic nucleotide-gated cation channel in cone photoreceptor cells. All three variants are predicted to replace evolutionary conserved amino acids, and to be pathogenic by specific in silico programs, consistent with the observed altered membrane targeting of CNGA3 in heterologous cells. Insights from our study will facilitate counseling regarding the molecular and phenotypic landscape of CNGA3-related cone dystrophies.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18660
- Homozygous missense variant in the human CNGA3 channel causes cone-rod dystrophy.
- Authors: Shaikh RS, Reuter P, Sisk RA, Kausar T, Shahzad M, Maqsood MI, Yousif A, Ali M, Riazuddin S, Wissinger B, Ahmed ZM
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Novel CNGA3 and CNGB3 mutations in two Pakistani families with achromatopsia.
- Authors: Azam M, Collin RW, Shah ST, Shah AA, Khan MI, Hussain A, Sadeque A, Strom TM, Thiadens AA, Roosing S, den Hollander AI, Cremers FP, Qamar R
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 29
- Novel mutations in the gene for α-subunit of retinal cone cyclic nucleotide-gated channels in a Japanese patient with congenital achromatopsia.
- Authors: Kuniyoshi K, Muraki-Oda S, Ueyama H, Toyoda F, Sakuramoto H, Ogita H, Irifune M, Yamamoto S, Nakao A, Tsunoda K, Iwata T, Ohji M, Shimomura Y
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Identification of Novel Mutation in CNGA3 gene by Whole-Exome Sequencing and In-Silico Analyses for Genotype-Phenotype Assessment with Autosomal Recessive Achromatopsia in Pakistani families.
- Authors: Arshad MW, Lee Y, Malik MA, Khan J, Khan A, Kareem A, Kang C, Shabbir MI
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Accessory heterozygous mutations in cone photoreceptor CNGA3 exacerbate CNG channel-associated retinopathy.
- Authors: Burkard M, Kohl S, Krätzig T, Tanimoto N, Brennenstuhl C, Bausch AE, Junger K, Reuter P, Sothilingam V, Beck SC, Huber G, Ding XQ, Mayer AK, Baumann B, Weisschuh N, Zobor D, Hahn GA, Kellner U, Venturelli S, Becirovic E, Charbel Issa P, Koenekoop RK, Rudolph G, Heckenlively J, Sieving P, Weleber RG, Hamel C, Zong X, Biel M, Lukowski R, Seeliger MW, Michalakis S, Wissinger B, Ruth P
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 3