An Inducible Prophage vB_MoxS-R1 Represents a Novel Lineage of Siphovirus.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLytic and lysogenic infections are the main strategies used by viruses to interact with microbial hosts. The genetic information of prophages provides insights into the nature of phages and their potential influences on hosts. Here, the siphovirus vB_MoxS-R1 was induced from a Microbacterium strain isolated from an estuarine Synechococcus culture. vB_MoxS-R1 has a high replication capability, with an estimated burst size of 2000 virions per cell. vB_MoxS-R1 represents a novel phage genus-based genomic analysis. Six transcriptional regulator (TR) genes were predicted in the vB_MoxS-R1 genome. Four of these TR genes are involved in stress responses, virulence and amino acid transportation in bacteria, suggesting that they may play roles in regulating the host cell metabolism in response to external environmental changes. A glycerophosphodiester phosphodiesterase gene related to phosphorus acquisition was also identified in the vB_MoxS-R1 genome. The presence of six TR genes and the phosphorus-acquisition gene suggests that prophage vB_MoxS-R1 has the potential to influence survival and adaptation of its host during lysogeny. Possession of four endonuclease genes in the prophage genome suggests that vB_MoxS-R1 is likely involved in DNA recombination or gene conversion and further influences host evolution.
comparative genomic analysis
new phage genus
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18657
- Complete genome sequence of a novel phage, vB_MoxS-ISF9, infecting methylotrophic Microbacterium: first report of a virulent Microbacterium phage.
- Authors: Zamani I, Bouzari M, Emtiazi G, Ghasemi SM, Chang HI
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Genome Study of a Novel Virulent Phage vB_SspS_KASIA and Mu-like Prophages of <i>Shewanella</i> sp. M16 Provides Insights into the Genetic Diversity of the <i>Shewanella</i> Virome.
- Authors: Bujak K, Decewicz P, Rosinska JM, Radlinska M
- Issue date: 2021 Oct 14
- Genomic Sequencing of High-Efficiency Transducing Streptococcal Bacteriophage A25: Consequences of Escape from Lysogeny.
- Authors: McCullor K, Postoak B, Rahman M, King C, McShan WM
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 1
- Genomic analysis and relatedness of P2-like phages of the Burkholderia cepacia complex.
- Authors: Lynch KH, Stothard P, Dennis JJ
- Issue date: 2010 Oct 25
- Genomic characterization of filamentous phage vB_VpaI_VP-3218, an inducible prophage of Vibrio parahaemolyticus.
- Authors: Garin-Fernandez A, Glöckner FO, Wichels A
- Issue date: 2020 Oct