Clinical impact of a metagenomic microbial plasma cell-free DNA next-generation sequencing assay on treatment decisions: a single-center retrospective study.
JournalBMC Infectious Diseases
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Metagenomic next-generation sequencing of microbial cell-free DNA (mcfDNA) allows for non-invasive pathogen detection from plasma. However, there is little data describing the optimal role for this assay in real-world clinical decision making. METHODS: We performed a single-center retrospective cohort study of adult patients for whom a mcfDNA (Karius©) test was sent between May 2019 and February 2021. Clinical impact was arbitrated after review and discussion of each case. RESULTS: A total of 80 patients were included. The most common reason for sending the assay was unknown microbiologic diagnosis (78%), followed by avoiding invasive procedures (14%). The test had a positive impact in 34 (43%), a negative impact in 2 (3%), and uncertain or no impact in 44 (55%). A positive impact was observed in solid organ transplant recipients (SOTR, 71.4%, p = 0.003), sepsis (71.4%, p = 0.003), and those receiving antimicrobial agents for less than 7 days prior to mcfDNA testing (i.e., 61.8%, p = 0.004). Positive impact was driven primarily by de-escalation of antimicrobial therapy. CONCLUSION: Clinical impact of mcfDNA testing was highest in SOTR, patients with sepsis and patients who had been on antimicrobial therapy for less than 7 days. Positive impact was driven by de-escalation of antimicrobial therapy which may highlight a potential role for mcfDNA in the realm of stewardship.
Rights/Terms© 2022. The Author(s).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18603
- Liquid Biopsy for Invasive Mold Infections in Hematopoietic Cell Transplant Recipients With Pneumonia Through Next-Generation Sequencing of Microbial Cell-Free DNA in Plasma.
- Authors: Hill JA, Dalai SC, Hong DK, Ahmed AA, Ho C, Hollemon D, Blair L, Maalouf J, Keane-Candib J, Stevens-Ayers T, Boeckh M, Blauwkamp TA, Fisher CE
- Issue date: 2021 Dec 6
- Clinical Impact of Metagenomic Next-Generation Sequencing of Plasma Cell-Free DNA for the Diagnosis of Infectious Diseases: A Multicenter Retrospective Cohort Study.
- Authors: Hogan CA, Yang S, Garner OB, Green DA, Gomez CA, Dien Bard J, Pinsky BA, Banaei N
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 27
- Liquid biopsy for infectious diseases: a focus on microbial cell-free DNA sequencing.
- Authors: Han D, Li R, Shi J, Tan P, Zhang R, Li J
- Issue date: 2020
- Impact of Next-Generation Sequencing Cell-free Pathogen DNA Test on Antimicrobial Management in Adults with Hematological Malignancies and Transplant Recipients with Suspected Infections.
- Authors: Yu J, Diaz JD, Goldstein SC, Patel RD, Varela JC, Reyenga C, Smith M, Smith T, Balls J, Ahmad S, Mori S
- Issue date: 2021 Jun
- Plasma Microbial Cell-Free DNA Sequencing Technology for the Diagnosis of Sepsis in the ICU.
- Authors: Wang L, Guo W, Shen H, Guo J, Wen D, Yu Y, Wu W
- Issue date: 2021