Research in the USA on COVID-19's long-term effects: measures needed to ensure black, indigenous and Latinx communities are not left behind.
JournalJournal of Medical Ethics
PublisherBMJ Publishing Group
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) pandemic continues to expose underlying inequities in healthcare for black, indigenous and Latinx communities in the USA. The gaps in equitable care for communities of colour transcend the diagnosis, treatment and vaccinations related to COVID-19. We are experiencing a continued gap across racial and socioeconomic lines for those who suffer prolonged effects of COVID-19, also known as 'Long COVID-19'. What we know about the treatment for Long COVID-19 so far is that it is complex, requires a multidisciplinary approach and there is still much research needed to fully understand the effects. In this paper, we discuss pragmatic considerations for including affected communities, relevant stakeholders, and leaders from communities of colour in the planning and implementation of Long COVID-19 research.
Rights/Terms© Author(s) (or their employer(s)) 2022. Re-use permitted under CC BY-NC. No commercial re-use. See rights and permissions. Published by BMJ.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18505
- COVID-19 Vaccine Acceptance and Access Among Black and Latinx Communities.
- Authors: Balasuriya L, Santilli A, Morone J, Ainooson J, Roy B, Njoku A, Mendiola-Iparraguirre A, O'Connor Duffany K, Macklin B, Higginbottom J, Fernández-Ayala C, Vicente G, Venkatesh A
- Issue date: 2021 Oct 1
- Black and Latinx Community Perspectives on COVID-19 Mitigation Behaviors, Testing, and Vaccines.
- Authors: Jimenez ME, Rivera-Núñez Z, Crabtree BF, Hill D, Pellerano MB, Devance D, Macenat M, Lima D, Martinez Alcaraz E, Ferrante JM, Barrett ES, Blaser MJ, Panettieri RA Jr, Hudson SV
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 1
- Structural racism and COVID-19 response: higher risk of exposure drives disparate COVID-19 deaths among Black and Hispanic/Latinx residents of Illinois, USA.
- Authors: Holden TM, Simon MA, Arnold DT, Halloway V, Gerardin J
- Issue date: 2022 Feb 15
- Racial Disparities in COVID-19 Impacts in Michigan, USA.
- Authors: Anderson-Carpenter KD, Neal ZP
- Issue date: 2022 Feb
- Addressing the Disproportionate Impact of COVID-19 on Communities of Color.
- Authors: Graham G
- Issue date: 2021 Apr