Obstructive Sleep Apnea as a Risk Factor for Venous Thromboembolism: A Systematic Review
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObstructive sleep apnea (OSA), is a prevalent condition characterized by repeated episodes of pharyngeal airway obstruction resulting in hypopnea and apnea episodes during sleep leading to nightly awakenings. OSA is a major contributor to the healthcare burden worldwide due to its high cardiovascular morbidity and mortality. There is growing evidence to support a pathophysiological link between OSA and venous thromboembolism (VTE). The pro-inflammatory state along with intermittent hypoxia that is invoked in OSA is associated with blood hypercoagulability, venous stasis, and endothelial dysfunction leading to deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism (PE). In this systematic review, we aim to analyze and assess the available literature on OSA and VTE (or DVT/PE) to determine whether OSA is an independent risk factor for VTE.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2022, Raj et al.
Sleep Apnea, Obstructive
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18503
- Sleep apnea and venous thromboembolism. A systematic review.
- Authors: Lippi G, Mattiuzzi C, Franchini M
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Association between obstructive sleep apnea and deep vein thrombosis / pulmonary embolism: a population-based retrospective cohort study.
- Authors: Peng YH, Liao WC, Chung WS, Muo CH, Chu CC, Liu CJ, Kao CH
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Obstructive sleep apnoea and venous thromboembolism: pathophysiological links and clinical implications.
- Authors: García-Ortega A, Mañas E, López-Reyes R, Selma MJ, García-Sánchez A, Oscullo G, Jiménez D, Martínez-García MÁ
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Obstructive sleep apnea and venous thromboembolism: Overview of an emerging relationship.
- Authors: Alonso-Fernández A, Toledo-Pons N, García-Río F
- Issue date: 2020 Apr
- Is obstructive sleep apnea syndrome a risk factor for pulmonary thromboembolism?
- Authors: Kezban OS, Ali NA, Umran T, Talha D, Ege GB, Peri A, Leyla YA, Hasan S
- Issue date: 2012 Oct