The Good, Bad, and Ugly of Inferior Vena Cava (IVC) Filters: Anesthetic Management for IVC Filter Retrieval in the Setting of Filter Thrombosis
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe describe a case of a 58-year-old man presenting to the interventional radiology (IR) suite for inferior vena cava (IVC) filter retrieval and potential intravascular iliocaval stent reconstruction in the setting of anticoagulation and uncontrolled hypertension. This patient had recently undergone iliocaval thrombectomy with IVC venoplasty four weeks prior to presentation. Induction of anesthesia and endotracheal intubation occurred without complication. The patient received two large-bore intravenous (IV) catheters and a radial artery catheter for hemodynamic monitoring. Blood was cross-matched and kept in the IR suite, anticipating bleeding from a potential injury to the IVC during filter retrieval. Fortunately, the thrombosed filter was removed without complication. This case illustrates the importance of in-depth anesthetic planning for so-called “benign” surgical procedures and highlights the challenges faced in non-operating room locations for anesthesiologists.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2022, Bergbower et al.
Keywordivc filter retrieval
non-operating room locations
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18502
- Percutaneous Retrieval of Permanent Inferior Vena Cava Filters.
- Authors: Tamrazi A, Wadhwa V, Holly B, Bhagat N, Marx JK, Streiff M, Lessne ML
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Predicting the Safety and Effectiveness of Inferior Vena Cava Filters Study: Design of a unique safety and effectiveness study of inferior vena cava filters in clinical practice.
- Authors: Gillespie DL, Spies JB, Siami FS, Rectenwald JE, White RA, Johnson MS
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- Presentation and Management of Inferior Vena Cava Thrombosis.
- Authors: Teter K, Schrem E, Ranganath N, Adelman M, Berger J, Sussman R, Ramkhelawon B, Rockman C, Maldonado TS
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- British Society of Interventional Radiology (BSIR) Inferior Vena Cava (IVC) Filter Registry.
- Authors: Uberoi R, Tapping CR, Chalmers N, Allgar V
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Endovascular Iliocaval Stent Reconstruction for Inferior Vena Cava Filter-Associated Iliocaval Thrombosis: Approach, Technical Success, Safety, and Two-Year Outcomes in 120 Patients.
- Authors: Chick JFB, Jo A, Meadows JM, Abramowitz SD, Khaja MS, Cooper KJ, Williams DM
- Issue date: 2017 Jul