Average volume-assured pressure support for patients with obstructive sleep apnea with failed CPAP titration
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractForty-five patients, age 57.9±13.1 y, 26 males, body mass index (BMI) 40.2±8.7kg/m2. Reasons for CPAP titration failure included: TE-CSA (25, 55.6%) and inadequate control of AHI at maximum CPAP of 20cm H2O (20, 44.4%). Changes noted from baseline PSG to AVAPS titration: AHI: 65.3±29.3 decreased to 22.3±16.1 (p<0.001). Median time SpO2 ≤88%: 63.7 to 6.9min (p<0.001). In 16 patients the AHI was reduced to <15 and in 16 additional patients the AHI was reduced to <30. Improvement in AHI was not related to gender, age, or opioid use, but was correlated with BMI: ∆AHI=12.2 - (1.4 * BMI); p=0.05. AVAPS resulted in improved sleep architecture: median N3 sleep increased: 1.4% to 19.6% total sleep time (TST) (p<0.001), and median R sleep increased: 6.4% to 13.6% TST (p<0.01).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18501
- Polysomnography in patients with obstructive sleep apnea: an evidence-based analysis.
- Authors: Medical Advisory Secretariat
- Issue date: 2006
- Use of average volume-assured pressure support as a therapeutic option in patients with central sleep apnea syndrome.
- Authors: Levri JM, Watanabe N, Peng VT, Scharf SM, Diaz-Abad M
- Issue date: 2022 Mar
- Clinical guidelines for the manual titration of positive airway pressure in patients with obstructive sleep apnea.
- Authors: Kushida CA, Chediak A, Berry RB, Brown LK, Gozal D, Iber C, Parthasarathy S, Quan SF, Rowley JA, Positive Airway Pressure Titration Task Force, American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- Issue date: 2008 Apr 15
- Accuracy of autotitrating CPAP to estimate the residual Apnea-Hypopnea Index in patients with obstructive sleep apnea on treatment with autotitrating CPAP.
- Authors: Desai H, Patel A, Patel P, Grant BJ, Mador MJ
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Clinical, polysomnographic, and CPAP titration features of obstructive sleep apnea: Mixed versus purely obstructive type.
- Authors: Lee SA, Lee GH, Chung YS, Kim WS
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 15