Use of Ultrasound to Assess Hemodynamics in Acutely Ill Patients.
PublisherAmerican Society of Nephrology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEarly diagnosis of AKI and preventive measures can likely decrease the severity of the injury and improve patient outcomes. Current hemodynamic monitoring variables, including BP, heart and respiratory rates, temperature, and oxygenation status, have been used to identify patients at high risk for AKI. Despite the widespread use of such variables, their ability to accurately and timely detect patients who are high risk has been questioned. Therefore, there is a critical need to develop and validate tools that can measure new and more kidney-specific hemodynamic and laboratory variables, potentially assisting with AKI risk stratification, implementing appropriate and timely preventive measures, and hopefully improved outcomes. The new ultrasonography techniques provide novel insights into kidney hemodynamics and potential management and/or therapeutic targets. Contrast-enhanced ultrasonography; Doppler flow patterns of hepatic veins, portal vein, and intrakidney veins; and ultrasound elastography are among approaches that may provide such information, particularly related to vascular changes in AKI, venous volume excess or congestion, and fluid tolerance. This review summarizes the current state of these techniques and their relevance to kidney hemodynamic management.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 by the American Society of Nephrology.
acute kidney injury
acute kidney injury and ICU nephrology
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18485
- Alterations in Portal Vein Flow and Intrarenal Venous Flow Are Associated With Acute Kidney Injury After Cardiac Surgery: A Prospective Observational Cohort Study.
- Authors: Beaubien-Souligny W, Benkreira A, Robillard P, Bouabdallaoui N, Chassé M, Desjardins G, Lamarche Y, White M, Bouchard J, Denault A
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 2
- The use of venous Doppler to predict adverse kidney events in a general ICU cohort.
- Authors: Spiegel R, Teeter W, Sullivan S, Tupchong K, Mohammed N, Sutherland M, Leibner E, Rola P, Galvagno SM Jr, Murthi SB
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 19
- The Association Between Pulsatile Portal Flow and Acute Kidney Injury after Cardiac Surgery: A Retrospective Cohort Study.
- Authors: Beaubien-Souligny W, Eljaiek R, Fortier A, Lamarche Y, Liszkowski M, Bouchard J, Denault AY
- Issue date: 2018 Aug
- [Value of power Doppler ultrasound to evaluate acute kidney injury].
- Authors: Chen XK, Huang LF, Wang XT, Qiu ZJ, Zhang HM, Li WX
- Issue date: 2012 Dec 18
- Renal Doppler ultrasound: a new tool to assess renal perfusion in critical illness.
- Authors: Le Dorze M, Bouglé A, Deruddre S, Duranteau J
- Issue date: 2012 Apr