A Comparison between Conventional and Extracorporeal Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation in Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
Tran, Quincy K
JournalHealthcare (Basel, Switzerland)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThere is limited evidence comparing the use of extracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation (ECPR) to CPR in the management of refractory out-of-hospital cardiac arrest (OHCA). We conducted a systematic review and meta-analysis to compare survival and neurologic outcomes associated with ECPR versus CPR in the management of OHCA. We searched PubMed, EMBASE, and Scopus to identify observational studies and randomized controlled trials comparing ECPR and CPR. We used the Newcastle-Ottawa Scale and Cochrane's risk-of-bias tool to assess studies' quality. We used random-effects models to compare outcomes between the pooled populations and moderator analysis to identify sources of heterogeneity and perform subgroup analysis. We identified 2088 articles and included 13, with 18,620 patients with OHCA. A total of 16,701 received CPR and 1919 received ECPR. Compared with CPR, ECPR was associated with higher odds of achieving favorable neurologic outcomes at 3 (OR 5, 95% CI 1.90-13.1, p < 0.01) and 6 months (OR 4.44, 95% CI 2.3-8.5, p < 0.01). We did not find a significant survival benefit or impact on neurologic outcomes at hospital discharge or 1 month following arrest. ECPR is a promising but resource-intensive intervention with the potential to improve long-term outcomes among patients with OHCA.
extracorporeal membrane oxygenation
out-of-hospital cardiac arrest
survival to discharge
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18379
- How effective is extracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation (ECPR) for out-of-hospital cardiac arrest? A systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Authors: Downing J, Al Falasi R, Cardona S, Fairchild M, Lowie B, Chan C, Powell E, Pourmand A, Tran QK
- Issue date: 2022 Jan
- Neurologic outcomes after extracorporeal membrane oxygenation assisted CPR for resuscitation of out-of-hospital cardiac arrest patients: A systematic review.
- Authors: Beyea MM, Tillmann BW, Iansavichene AE, Randhawa VK, Van Aarsen K, Nagpal AD
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Current trends and outcomes of extracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation for out-of-hospital cardiac arrest in Japan: A nationwide observational study.
- Authors: Nakajima M, H Kaszynski R, Goto H, Matsui H, Fushimi K, Yamaguchi Y, Yasunaga H
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- Comparing extracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation with conventional cardiopulmonary resuscitation: A meta-analysis.
- Authors: Kim SJ, Kim HJ, Lee HY, Ahn HS, Lee SW
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Neurological outcomes and duration from cardiac arrest to the initiation of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in patients with out-of-hospital cardiac arrest: a retrospective study.
- Authors: Yukawa T, Kashiura M, Sugiyama K, Tanabe T, Hamabe Y
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 16