Identification of Frameshift Variants in Gene Causing Xeroderma Pigmentosum in Two Consanguineous Pakistani Families.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractXeroderma pigmentosum (XP) is a rare autosomal recessive genetic disorder characterized by severe sensitivity of skin to sunlight and an increased risk of skin cancer. XP variant (XPV), a milder subtype, is caused by variants in the POLH gene. POLH encodes an error-prone DNA-polymerase eta (pol eta) which performs translesion synthesis past ultraviolet photoproducts. The current study documents the clinical and genetic investigations of two large consanguineous Pakistani families affected with XPV. In family 1, whole exome sequencing (WES) revealed a novel frameshift variant, c.1723dupG (p.(Val575Glyfs*4)), of POLH, which is predicted to cause frameshift and premature truncation of the encoded enzyme. Indeed, our ex vivo studies in HEK293T cells confirmed the truncation of the encoded protein due to the c.1723dupG variant. In family 2, Sanger sequencing of POLH exons, revealed a recurrent nonsense variant, c.437dupA (p.Tyr146*). POLH forms a hetero-tetrameric POLZ complex with REV3L, REV7, POLD2 and POLD3. Next, we performed in silico analysis of POLH and other POLZ complex genes expression in publicly available single cell mRNAseq datasets from adult human healthy and aging skin. We found overlapping expression of POLH, REV3L and POLD2 in multiple cell types including differentiated and undifferentiated keratinocytes, pericytes and melanocytes in healthy skin. However, in aging human skin, POLH expression is reduced in compare to its POLZ complex partners. Insights from our study will facilitate counseling regarding the molecular and phenotypic landscape of POLH-related XPV.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18378
- Identification of a novel nonsense mutation in POLH in a Chinese pedigree with xeroderma pigmentosum, variant type.
- Authors: Liu X, Zhang X, Qiao J, Fang H
- Issue date: 2013
- Rare exon 10 deletion in POLH gene in a family with xeroderma pigmentosum variant correlating with protein expression by immunohistochemistry.
- Authors: Borroni RG, Diegoli M, Grasso M, Concardi M, Agozzino M, Vignini M, Arbustini E
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Molecular genetics of Xeroderma pigmentosum variant.
- Authors: Gratchev A, Strein P, Utikal J, Sergij G
- Issue date: 2003 Oct
- Variants of the xeroderma pigmentosum variant gene (POLH) are associated with melanoma risk.
- Authors: Di Lucca J, Guedj M, Lacapère JJ, Fargnoli MC, Bourillon A, Dieudé P, Dupin N, Wolkenstein P, Aegerter P, Saiag P, Descamps V, Lebbe C, Basset-Seguin N, Peris K, Grandchamp B, Soufir N
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- DNA polymerase eta, the product of the xeroderma pigmentosum variant gene and a target of p53, modulates the DNA damage checkpoint and p53 activation.
- Authors: Liu G, Chen X
- Issue date: 2006 Feb