Lower diagnostic accuracy of hs-cTnI in patients with prior coronary artery bypass grafting.
Walter, Joan Elias
Eckstein, Friedrich S
Nowak, Richard M
Christenson, Robert H
deFilippi, Chistopher R
Apple, Fred S
JournalInternational Journal of Cardiology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: High-sensitivity cardiac troponin T (hs-cTnT) and the ESC 0/1h-hs-cTnT-algorithm have worse performance in the early diagnosis of myocardial infarction (MI) in patients with prior coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG). It is unknown, whether this concern applies also to hs-cTnI, the most widely used analyte worldwide. Methods: In an international multicenter diagnostic study, two cardiologists centrally adjudicated the final diagnosis in patients presenting to the emergency department with symptoms suggestive of MI according to the Third Universal Definition of MI. The objective was to compare the diagnostic accuracy of hs-cTnI assays and their performance within the ESC hs-cTnI 0/1h-algorithms in patients with versus without prior CABG. Findings were externally validated in an U.S. multicenter diagnostic study. Results: A total of 392/5'200 patients (8%) had prior coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG). Diagnostic accuracy of hs-cTnI as quantified by the area under the receiver-operating characteristics-curve (AUC) in these patients was high, but lower versus patients without prior CABG (e.g. hs-cTnI-Architect 0.91 versus 0.95; p = 0.016). Sensitivity/specificity of rule-out/in by the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) 0/1h-hs-cTnI-algorithms remained very high [e.g. hs-cTnI-Architect 100% and 93.5%], but efficacy was lower (52% versus 74%, p < 0.01). External validation (n = 2113) confirmed these findings in 192 patients with prior CABG using hs-cTnI-Atellica, with 52% versus 36% (p < 0.001) remaining in the observe zone. Conclusions: Diagnostic accuracy of hs-cTnI and efficacy of the ESC 0/1h-hs-cTnI-algorithms are lower in patients with prior CABG, but sensitivity/specificity remain very high. Clinical trial registration: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00470587, number NCT00470587.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2022 The Author(s). Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18290
- Direct comparison of high-sensitivity cardiac troponin T and I in the early differentiation of type 1 vs. type 2 myocardial infarction.
- Authors: Nestelberger T, Boeddinghaus J, Giménez MR, Lopez-Ayala P, Ratmann PD, Badertscher P, Wildi K, Wussler D, Koechlin L, Arslani K, Zimmermann T, Freese M, Rinderknecht T, Miró Ò, Martin-Sanchez FJ, Kawecki D, Geigy N, Keller D, Twerenbold R, Müller C, APACE investigators.
- Issue date: 2022 Jan 12
- Novel Criteria for the Observe-Zone of the ESC 0/1h-hs-cTnT Algorithm.
- Authors: Lopez-Ayala P, Nestelberger T, Boeddinghaus J, Koechlin L, Ratmann PD, Strebel I, Gehrke J, Meier S, Walter J, Rubini Gimenez M, Mutschler E, Miró Ò, López-Barbeito B, Martín-Sánchez FJ, Rodríguez-Adrada E, Keller DI, Newby LK, Twerenbold R, Giannitsis E, Lindahl B, Mueller C, APACE and TRAPID-AMI Investigators†.
- Issue date: 2021 Sep 7
- High-Sensitivity Cardiac Troponin I Assay for Early Diagnosis of Acute Myocardial Infarction.
- Authors: Boeddinghaus J, Nestelberger T, Twerenbold R, Koechlin L, Meier M, Troester V, Wussler D, Badertscher P, Wildi K, Puelacher C, du Fay de Lavallaz J, Rubini Giménez M, Zimmermann T, Hafner B, Potlukova E, Miró Ò, Martin-Sanchez FJ, Keller DI, Reichlin T, Mueller C, APACE investigators.
- Issue date: 2019 Jul
- Combining High-Sensitivity Cardiac Troponin I and Cardiac Troponin T in the Early Diagnosis of Acute Myocardial Infarction.
- Authors: van der Linden N, Wildi K, Twerenbold R, Pickering JW, Than M, Cullen L, Greenslade J, Parsonage W, Nestelberger T, Boeddinghaus J, Badertscher P, Rubini Giménez M, Klinkenberg LJJ, Bekers O, Schöni A, Keller DI, Sabti Z, Puelacher C, Cupa J, Schumacher L, Kozhuharov N, Grimm K, Shrestha S, Flores D, Freese M, Stelzig C, Strebel I, Miró Ò, Rentsch K, Morawiec B, Kawecki D, Kloos W, Lohrmann J, Richards AM, Troughton R, Pemberton C, Osswald S, van Dieijen-Visser MP, Mingels AM, Reichlin T, Meex SJR, Mueller C
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 4
- Early Diagnosis of Myocardial Infarction With Point-of-Care High-Sensitivity Cardiac Troponin I.
- Authors: Boeddinghaus J, Nestelberger T, Koechlin L, Wussler D, Lopez-Ayala P, Walter JE, Troester V, Ratmann PD, Seidel F, Zimmermann T, Badertscher P, Wildi K, Rubini Giménez M, Potlukova E, Strebel I, Freese M, Miró Ò, Martin-Sanchez FJ, Kawecki D, Keller DI, Gualandro DM, Christ M, Twerenbold R, Mueller C, APACE Investigators.
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 17