Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis presenting in a patient with human immunodeficiency virus and reactivated Hepatitis B infection.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH) is a rare clinical syndrome of inappropriate immune activation which can present at any age and is commonly associated with other conditions of either excessive or impaired immune response, such as malignancy, infection, autoimmunity or immunodeficiency. In cases associated with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection, an additional trigger such as acute infection or malignancy is frequently identified. We report a case of HLH presenting in a patient with uncontrolled HIV and reactivated hepatitis B infection, which to our knowledge has only been reported once before. Given challenges with diagnosis and its life-threatening course, HLH is an important consideration especially in critically ill patients with underlying HIV and nonspecific presentations such as fevers, cytopenias and encephalopathy. © 2022 The Authors
Rights/Terms© 2022 The Authors.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18270
- Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis as the Presenting Manifestation of Relapsed Classic Hodgkin's Lymphoma in the Presence of Concurrent Human Immunodeficiency Virus, Genital Herpes, Epstein-Barr Virus and Mycobacterium Avium Complex Infection.
- Authors: Siddiqui RS, Agladze M, Bashir T
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 19
- Acute human immunodeficiency virus syndrome presenting with hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis.
- Authors: Park KH, Yu HS, Jung SI, Shin DH, Shin JH
- Issue date: 2008 Apr 30
- Acute HIV infection presenting as hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis: case report and review of the literature.
- Authors: Manji F, Wilson E, Mahe E, Gill J, Conly J
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 20
- Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis in a patient with human immunodeficiency virus infection: A case report.
- Authors: Nie Y, Zhang Z, Wu H, Wan L
- Issue date: 2017 May