Chronic migraine with aura as a neurologic manifestation of an atrial myxoma - A case report.
AuthorGunawardane, Shivanthi P
Kramer, Michael E
Bearden, Jonathan M
Resar, Jon R
Lawton, Jennifer S
Allison, Derek B
Becker, Randy M
Zhang, Wayne W
JournalInternational Journal of Surgery Case Reports
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntroduction and importance: Atrial myxomas account for more than half of all cardiac tumors. While the symptoms of these are many, the most prominent among them being migraines, heart failure, dyspnea, and chest pain thereby making a diagnosis all the more difficult. Case presentation: A 53-year-old woman presented with a recent onset of headaches with aura. The latter was triggered by exercise and physical exertion. Taking Ibuprofen 800 mg three times daily provided relief to the patient. Headaches were associated with photophobia and nausea. Clinical discussion: The patient had the typical triad of symptoms, namely (i) obstructive (light headedness, near syncope, dyspnea, chest pain), (ii) embolic (transient ischemic attacks – TIA, peripheral arterial claudication), and (iii) constitutional (fever, malaise, weight loss). Cerebral infarction is the most frequent complication. The patient had multiple embolic acute and sub-acute infarcts. The aura and headaches were resolved following resection of the myxoma. Conclusion: Atrial myxomas must enter the differential diagnosis in the case of a patient presenting with migraines associated with aura. In particular, those whose headaches increase with physical exertion require further investigation.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2022. Published by Elsevier Ltd.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18267
- Eleven years' experience with Korean cardiac myxoma patients: focus on embolic complications.
- Authors: Lee SJ, Kim JH, Na CY, Oh SS
- Issue date: 2012
- Migraine with aura triggered by cardiac myxoma: case report and literature review.
- Authors: de Ceuster L, van Diepen T, Koehler PJ
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- Pure menstrual migraine with sensory aura: a case report.
- Authors: Chen JJ, Hsu YC, Chen DL
- Issue date: 2012 Jul
- Migraine with aura following atrial septostomy for pulmonary arterial hypertension.
- Authors: Rogan MP, Walsh KP, Gaine SP
- Issue date: 2007 Jan
- [Migrainous aura subtypes in hospitalized children].
- Authors: Biedroń A, Steczkowska M, Zajac A, Stolarska U, Kroczka S
- Issue date: 2009