Detection and kinetics of subgenomic SARS-CoV-2 RNA viral load in longitudinal diagnostic RNA positive samples.
AuthorDeming, Meagan E
Dong, Tracy Q
Mills, Margaret G
Huang, Meei-Li W
Greninger, Alexander L
Jerome, Keith R
Wener, Mark H
Paasche-Orlow, Michael K
Hoffman, Risa M
Kottkamp, Angelica C
Chu, Helen Y
Stankiewicz Karita, Helen C
Johnston, Christine M
JournalJournal of Infectious Diseases
PublisherOxford University Press
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWhile detection of SARS-CoV-2 by diagnostic RT-PCR is highly sensitive for viral RNA, the nucleic acid amplification of subgenomic RNAs (sgRNA) that are the product of viral replication may more accurately identify replication. We characterized the diagnostic RT-PCR and sgRNA detection from nasal swabs collected daily by participants in post exposure prophylaxis or treatment studies for SARS-CoV-2. Among 1932 RT-PCR-positive swabs with sgRNA tests, 40% (767) had detectable sgRNA. Above a diagnostic PCR viral load threshold of 5.1 log10 copies/mL, 96% of samples had detectable sgRNA with viral loads that followed a linear trend. The trajectories of diagnostic and sgRNA viral loads differed, with 80% peaking on the same day but duration of sgRNA detection being shorter (8 versus 14 days). With a large sample of daily swabs we provide comparative sgRNA kinetics and a diagnostic PCR threshold that correlates with replicating virus independent of symptoms or duration of illness.
Rights/Terms© The Author(s) 2022. Published by Oxford University Press for the Infectious Diseases Society of America. All rights reserved. For permissions, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18209
- Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 Normalized Viral Loads and Subgenomic RNA Detection as Tools for Improving Clinical Decision Making and Work Reincorporation.
- Authors: Santos Bravo M, Nicolás D, Berengua C, Fernandez M, Hurtado JC, Tortajada M, Barroso S, Vilella A, Mosquera MM, Vila J, Marcos MA
- Issue date: 2021 Oct 28
- Detectable Duration of Viable SARS-CoV-2, Total and Subgenomic SARS-CoV-2 RNA in Noncritically Ill COVID-19 Patients: a Prospective Cohort Study.
- Authors: Phuphuakrat A, Pasomsub E, Srichatrapimuk S, Kirdlarp S, Suksatu A, Srisaowakarn C, Manopwisedjaroen S, Ludowyke N, Purwono PB, Priengprom T, Wongsa A, Thakkinstian A, Hongeng S, Malathum K, Thitithanyanont A, Tassaneetrithep B
- Issue date: 2022 Jun 29
- Profiling of SARS-CoV-2 Subgenomic RNAs in Clinical Specimens.
- Authors: Chen Z, Ng RWY, Lui G, Ling L, Chow C, Yeung ACM, Boon SS, Wang MH, Chan KCC, Chan RWY, Hui DSC, Chan PKS
- Issue date: 2022 Apr 27
- Use of qRT-PCR for SARS-CoV-2 sgRNA leader for the therapeutic plan: a preliminary report on 10 patients.
- Authors: Petcharat S, Virojanapirom P, Putcharoen O, Wacharapluesadee S, Hemachudha T
- Issue date: 2022 Apr 30