Venous thromboembolic events in the setting of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation support in adults: A systematic review.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractExtracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) is a form of prolonged mechanical cardiopulmonary supportive therapy implemented for the survival of patients with refractory cardiac and respiratory dysfunction. Venovenous (VV) and venoarterial (VA) ECMO are both used to buy time in severe respiratory failure while VA ECMO also provides hemodynamic support. Unfortunately, the risk of developing circuit or cannula associated and systemic thrombosis in patients supported by ECMO and post circuit decannulation is a devastating complication, although the relationship between venous thromboembolism (VTE) and ECMO use has not been fully established. Due to the lack of knowledge and literature centered on this topic area, currently there are no official guidelines for prompt diagnosis by screening or to optimize prevention and treatment of VTE in this specific population. This review analyzes the relationship between ECMO and subsequent VTE. We also discuss pertinent prophylactic and therapeutic anticoagulation treatments in patients diagnosed with VTE while on ECMO along with the obstacles associated with them. © 2022 The Authors
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2022 The Authors. Published by Elsevier Ltd.. All rights reserved.
KeywordDeep vein thrombosis
Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18150
- Incidence of Venous Thromboembolism in Adults Receiving Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation: A Systematic Review.
- Authors: Iannattone PA, Yang SS, Koolian M, Wong EG, Lipes J
- Issue date: 2022 Dec 1
- Venous Thromboembolism Events Following Venovenous Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation for Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 Based on CT Scans.
- Authors: Parzy G, Daviet F, Puech B, Sylvestre A, Guervilly C, Porto A, Hraiech S, Chaumoitre K, Papazian L, Forel JM
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Pediatric cardiorespiratory failure successfully managed with venoarterial-venous extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: a case report.
- Authors: Kyo M, Ohshimo S, Kida Y, Shimatani T, Torikoshi Y, Suzuki K, Yamaga S, Hirohashi N, Shime N
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 12
- Incidence and Risk Factors for Cannula-Related Venous Thrombosis After Venovenous Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation in Adult Patients With Acute Respiratory Failure.
- Authors: Fisser C, Reichenbächer C, Müller T, Schneckenpointner R, Malfertheiner MV, Philipp A, Foltan M, Lunz D, Zeman F, Lubnow M
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation use in poisoning: a narrative review with clinical recommendations.
- Authors: Upchurch C, Blumenberg A, Brodie D, MacLaren G, Zakhary B, Hendrickson RG
- Issue date: 2021 Oct