Venous thromboembolic events in the setting of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation support in adults: A systematic review.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractExtracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) is a form of prolonged mechanical cardiopulmonary supportive therapy implemented for the survival of patients with refractory cardiac and respiratory dysfunction. Venovenous (VV) and venoarterial (VA) ECMO are both used to buy time in severe respiratory failure while VA ECMO also provides hemodynamic support. Unfortunately, the risk of developing circuit or cannula associated and systemic thrombosis in patients supported by ECMO and post circuit decannulation is a devastating complication, although the relationship between venous thromboembolism (VTE) and ECMO use has not been fully established. Due to the lack of knowledge and literature centered on this topic area, currently there are no official guidelines for prompt diagnosis by screening or to optimize prevention and treatment of VTE in this specific population. This review analyzes the relationship between ECMO and subsequent VTE. We also discuss pertinent prophylactic and therapeutic anticoagulation treatments in patients diagnosed with VTE while on ECMO along with the obstacles associated with them. © 2022 The Authors
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2022 The Authors. Published by Elsevier Ltd.. All rights reserved.
KeywordDeep vein thrombosis
Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18150
- Management of Anticoagulation during Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation in Children.
- Authors: Chegondi M, Vijayakumar N, Totapally BR
- Issue date: 2022 Jul 11
- Nosocomial infections during extracorporeal membrane oxygenation.
- Authors: Martínez-Martínez M, Nuvials FX, Riera J
- Issue date: 2022 Oct 1
- Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Anticoagulation
- Authors: Szymanski MW, Hafzalah M
- Issue date: 2022 Jan
- Anticoagulation Strategies during Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation: A Narrative Review.
- Authors: Rajsic S, Breitkopf R, Jadzic D, Popovic Krneta M, Tauber H, Treml B
- Issue date: 2022 Aug 31
- Prevalence of Deep Vein Thrombosis in Patients Supported With Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation.
- Authors: Vazquez ZGS, Sodha NR, Devers C, Ventetuolo CE, Abbasi A
- Issue date: 2021 Oct 1