Intracranial Arterial Calcification and Intracranial Atherosclerosis: Close but Different.
Wong, Lawrence Ka Sing
Leung, Thomas W
JournalFrontiers in Neurology
PublisherFrontiers Media S.A.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAmong 69 patients with stroke, IAC was identified in 35% of (161/483) artery segments, of which 61.5% were predominantly intimal calcification and 38.5% were predominantly medial calcification. About 79.8% of intimal calcifications and 64.5% of medial calcifications co-existed with atherosclerotic plaques. Intimal calcification was associated with luminal stenosis (p = 0.003) caused by atherosclerotic lesions. Compared with the medial IAC, intimal IAC was more often accompanied by eccentric plaques (p = 0.02), larger plaque burden (p = 0.001), and IPH (p = 0.001).
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2022 Du, Li, Yang, Bos, Zheng, Wong, Leung and Chen.
intracranial arterial calcification
intracranial atherosclerotic disease
vessel-wall magnetic resonance imaging
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18135
- Understanding the Clinical Implications of Intracranial Arterial Calcification Using Brain CT and Vessel Wall Imaging.
- Authors: Yang WJ, Wasserman BA, Zheng L, Huang ZQ, Li J, Abrigo J, Wong SS, Ying MT, Chu WC, Wong LK, Leung TW, Chen XY
- Issue date: 2021
- Postmortem Study Exploring Distribution and Patterns of Intracranial Artery Calcification.
- Authors: Yang WJ, Zheng L, Wu XH, Huang ZQ, Niu CB, Zhao HL, Leung TW, Wong LK, Chen XY
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- Co-existing intracranial and extracranial carotid artery atherosclerotic plaques and recurrent stroke risk: a three-dimensional multicontrast cardiovascular magnetic resonance study.
- Authors: Xu Y, Yuan C, Zhou Z, He L, Mi D, Li R, Cui Y, Wang Y, Wang Y, Liu G, Zheng Z, Zhao X
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 2
- Intracranial Arterial Calcification in Black Africans with Acute Ischaemic Stroke.
- Authors: Olatunji RB, Adekanmi AJ, Ogunseyinde AO
- Issue date: 2018
- Risk factors for atherosclerotic and medial arterial calcification of the intracranial internal carotid artery.
- Authors: Vos A, Kockelkoren R, de Vis JB, van der Schouw YT, van der Schaaf IC, Velthuis BK, Mali WPTM, de Jong PA, DUST study group.
- Issue date: 2018 Sep