Treatment of Recurrent Severe Cellulitis with a Pill in Pocket Approach.
AuthorDoub, James B
JournalInfection & Chemotherapy
PublisherKorean Society of Infectious Diseases, Korean Society for Antimicrobial Therapy, Korean Society for AIDS
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCellulitis is a common condition that plagues healthcare systems and is associated with significant healthcare costs and resource allocations. With ample antimicrobial therapy this infectious syndrome can be easily treated but recurrence is common. Many conditions predispose patients to be at risk for recurrent cellulitis with chronic lymphoedema being a significant risk factor secondary to pooling of lymphatic fluid and impaired local immune responses. Moreover, patients with chronic lymphoedema can be at risk for acute onset of severe cellulitis requiring urgent medical evaluation and treatment. Consequently, to prevent recurrent cellulitis episodes, the use of long-term oral antibiotics has been advocated, but when recurrences occur despite long-term antibiotic use limited options are available. In this case report, a unique treatment approach for preventing severe cellulitis is discussed with a pill in the pocket approach with the use of oral tedizolid. This has thwarted the need for recurrent hospitalizations and reduced health care costs for this individual patient. Herein this treatment approach is discussed as is the rationale for using tedizolid instead of other antibiotics.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2022 by The Korean Society of Infectious Diseases, Korean Society for Antimicrobial Therapy, and The Korean Society for AIDS.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18132
- Interventions for the prevention of recurrent erysipelas and cellulitis.
- Authors: Dalal A, Eskin-Schwartz M, Mimouni D, Ray S, Days W, Hodak E, Leibovici L, Paul M
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 20
- Confidence of recurrent cellulitis self-diagnosis among people with lymphoedema: a qualitative interview study.
- Authors: Patel M, Lee SI, Levell NJ, Smart P, Kai J, Thomas KS, Leighton P
- Issue date: 2020 Feb
- Patients' understanding of cellulitis and views about how best to prevent recurrent episodes: mixed-methods study in primary and secondary care.
- Authors: Teasdale EJ, Lalonde A, Muller I, Chalmers J, Smart P, Hooper J, El-Gohary M, Thomas KS, Santer M
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Antibiotic prophylaxis for preventing recurrent cellulitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Authors: Oh CC, Ko HC, Lee HY, Safdar N, Maki DG, Chlebicki MP
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Estimating the health care costs associated with recurrent cellulitis managed in the outpatient setting.
- Authors: St John J, Strazzula L, Vedak P, Kroshinsky D
- Issue date: 2018 Apr