Increased heroin intake and relapse vulnerability in intermittent relative to continuous self-administration: Sex differences in rats.
Milella, Michele Stanislaw
JournalBritish Journal of Pharmacology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRats were trained to self-administer a palatable solution and then heroin (0.075 mg·kg-1 per inf) either continuously (6 h·day-1 ; 10 days) or intermittently (6 h·day-1 ; 5-min access every 30-min; 10 days). Brain levels of heroin and its metabolites were modelled using a pharmacokinetic software. Next, heroin-seeking was assessed after 1 or 21 abstinence days. Between tests, rats underwent either forced or voluntary abstinence. The oestrous cycle was measured using a vaginal smear test.
Rights/Terms© 2022 The Authors. British Journal of Pharmacology published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of British Pharmacological Society.
incubation of craving
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/18103
- Incubation of Cocaine Craving After Intermittent-Access Self-administration: Sex Differences and Estrous Cycle.
- Authors: Nicolas C, Russell TI, Pierce AF, Maldera S, Holley A, You ZB, McCarthy MM, Shaham Y, Ikemoto S
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 1
- Incubation of Methamphetamine but not Heroin Craving After Voluntary Abstinence in Male and Female Rats.
- Authors: Venniro M, Zhang M, Shaham Y, Caprioli D
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Dissociation Between Incubation of Cocaine Craving and Anxiety-Related Behaviors After Continuous and Intermittent Access Self-Administration.
- Authors: Nicolas C, Russell TI, Shaham Y, Ikemoto S
- Issue date: 2021
- Effect of the Novel Positive Allosteric Modulator of Metabotropic Glutamate Receptor 2 AZD8529 on Incubation of Methamphetamine Craving After Prolonged Voluntary Abstinence in a Rat Model.
- Authors: Caprioli D, Venniro M, Zeric T, Li X, Adhikary S, Madangopal R, Marchant NJ, Lucantonio F, Schoenbaum G, Bossert JM, Shaham Y
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 1
- Operant Social Reward Decreases Incubation of Heroin Craving in Male and Female Rats.
- Authors: Venniro M, Russell TI, Zhang M, Shaham Y
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 1