Essentials of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine Fellowship: careers in Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine.
JournalJournal of Perinatology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe clinical and academic landscape of Neonatal–Perinatal Medicine (NPM) is evolving. Career opportunities for neonatologists have been impacted by shifts in compensation and staffing needs in both academic and private settings. The workforce in NPM is changing with respect to age and gender. Recruiting candidates from backgrounds underrepresented in medicine is a priority. Developing flexible positions and ensuring equitable salaries is critically important. Professional niches including administration, education, research, and quality improvement provide many opportunities for scholarly pursuit. Challenges exist in recruiting, mentoring, funding, and retaining physician–scientists in NPM. Creative solutions are necessary to balance the needs of the NPM workforce with the growing numbers, locations, and complexity of patients. Addressing these challenges requires a multi-faceted approach including adapting educational curricula, supporting trainees in finding their niche, identifying novel ways to address work/life integration, and attracting candidates with both diverse backgrounds and academic interests. © 2022, The Author(s)
Rights/Terms© 2022. The Author(s), under exclusive licence to Springer Nature America, Inc.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17972
- Essentials of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine fellowship: an overview.
- Authors: French HM, Leeman KT, Wambach JA, Malik SK, ONTPD Fellowship Directors Writing Group., Reber KM
- Issue date: 2022 Feb
- Changes, Challenges, and Variations in Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine Fellowship: A View from the Program Directors.
- Authors: Gray MM, Bruno C, French H, Myers P, Carbajal MM, Reber KM, Christou H, Karpen H, Johnston LC
- Issue date: 2022 May 12
- Essentials of neonatal-perinatal medicine fellowship: scholarship perspective.
- Authors: Bauserman M, Vasquez M, Chess PR, Carbajal M, ONTPD Fellowship Directors Writing Group., Good M
- Issue date: 2022 Apr
- Global Health Education and Best Practices for Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine Trainees.
- Authors: Rent S, North K, Diego E, Bose C
- Issue date: 2021 Dec 1
- Essentials of neonatal-perinatal medicine fellowship: innovations in medical education.
- Authors: Schwarz B, Enciso J, Gray M, O'Reilly D, Smith MC, Stanley K, ONTPD Fellowship Directors Writing Group., Payne A
- Issue date: 2022 May