The Effect of Gender-Affirming Medical Care on the Vaginal and Neovaginal Microbiomes of Transgender and Gender-Diverse People.
Prodger, Jessica L
JournalFrontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology
PublisherFrontiers Media S.A.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTransgender and gender diverse individuals may seek gender-affirming medical care, such as hormone therapy or surgery, to produce primary and/or secondary sex characteristics that are more congruent with their gender. Gender-affirming medical care for transmasculine individuals can include testosterone therapy, which suppresses circulating estrogen and can lead to changes in the vaginal epithelium that are reminiscent of the post-menopausal period in cisgender females. Among transfeminine individuals, gender-affirming medical care can include vaginoplasty, which is the surgical creation of a vulva and neovaginal canal, commonly using penile and scrotal skin. The effect of gender-affirming medical care on the vagina of transmasculine individuals and on the neovagina of transfeminine individuals is poorly characterized. This review summarizes what is known of the epithelium and local microbiota of the testosterone-exposed vagina and the neovagina. We focus on potential pathogens and determinants of gynecological health and identify key knowledge gaps for future research.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2022 Krakowsky, Potter, Hallarn, Monari, Wilcox, Bauer, Ravel and Prodger.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17934
- The gynecologic examination of the transfeminine person after penile inversion vaginoplasty.
- Authors: Grimstad F, McLaren H, Gray M
- Issue date: 2021 Mar
- Does Depth Matter? Factors Affecting Choice of Vulvoplasty Over Vaginoplasty as Gender-Affirming Genital Surgery for Transgender Women.
- Authors: Jiang D, Witten J, Berli J, Dugi D 3rd
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- The Bilateral Pedicled Epilated Scrotal Flap: A Powerful Adjunctive for Creation of More Neovaginal Depth in Penile Inversion Vaginoplasty.
- Authors: Nijhuis THJ, Özer M, van der Sluis WB, Al-Tamini M, Salim A, Thomas P, Bellringer J, Bouman MB
- Issue date: 2020 May
- The neovaginal microbiome of transgender women post-gender reassignment surgery.
- Authors: Birse KD, Kratzer K, Zuend CF, Mutch S, Noël-Romas L, Lamont A, Abou M, Jalil E, Veloso V, Grinsztejn B, Friedman RK, Broliden K, Bradley F, Poliquin V, Li F, Yanavich C, Burgener A, Aldrovandi G
- Issue date: 2020 May 5
- Gender-Affirming Penile Inversion Vaginoplasty.
- Authors: Salim A, Poh M
- Issue date: 2018 Jul