AAPM Task Group Report 290: Respiratory motion management for particle therapy.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDose uncertainty induced by respiratory motion remains a major concern for treating thoracic and abdominal lesions using particle beams. This Task Group report reviews the impact of tumor motion and dosimetric considerations in particle radiotherapy, current motion-management techniques, and limitations for different particle-beam delivery modes (i.e., passive scattering, uniform scanning, and pencil-beam scanning). Furthermore, the report provides guidance and risk analysis for quality assurance of the motion-management procedures to ensure consistency and accuracy, and discusses future development and emerging motion-management strategies. This report supplements previously published AAPM report TG76, and considers aspects of motion management that are crucial to the accurate and safe delivery of particle-beam therapy. To that end, this report produces general recommendations for commissioning and facility-specific dosimetric characterization, motion assessment, treatment planning, active and passive motion-management techniques, image guidance and related decision-making, monitoring throughout therapy, and recommendations for vendors. Key among these recommendations are that: (1) facilities should perform thorough planning studies (using retrospective data) and develop standard operating procedures that address all aspects of therapy for any treatment site involving respiratory motion; (2) a risk-based methodology should be adopted for quality management and ongoing process improvement.
Rights/Terms© 2022 The Authors. Medical Physics published by Wiley Periodicals LLC on behalf of American Association of Physicists in Medicine.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17930
- Clinical implementation of respiratory-gated spot-scanning proton therapy: An efficiency analysis of active motion management.
- Authors: Gelover E, Deisher AJ, Herman MG, Johnson JE, Kruse JJ, Tryggestad EJ
- Issue date: 2019 May
- AAPM task group 224: Comprehensive proton therapy machine quality assurance.
- Authors: Arjomandy B, Taylor P, Ainsley C, Safai S, Sahoo N, Pankuch M, Farr JB, Yong Park S, Klein E, Flanz J, Yorke ED, Followill D, Kase Y
- Issue date: 2019 Aug
- The management of respiratory motion in radiation oncology report of AAPM Task Group 76.
- Authors: Keall PJ, Mageras GS, Balter JM, Emery RS, Forster KM, Jiang SB, Kapatoes JM, Low DA, Murphy MJ, Murray BR, Ramsey CR, Van Herk MB, Vedam SS, Wong JW, Yorke E
- Issue date: 2006 Oct
- Dosimetric impact of geometric errors due to respiratory motion prediction on dynamic multileaf collimator-based four-dimensional radiation delivery.
- Authors: Vedam S, Docef A, Fix M, Murphy M, Keall P
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- An effective method to reduce the interplay effects between respiratory motion and a uniform scanning proton beam irradiation for liver tumors: A case study.
- Authors: Akino Y, Wu H, Oh RJ, Das IJ
- Issue date: 2019 Jan