Virtual mouse brain histology from multi-contrast MRI via deep learning.
Lee, Choong H
Arefin, Tanzil M
Hai Shi, Song
PublishereLife Sciences Publications
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract1H MRI maps brain structure and function non-invasively through versatile contrasts that exploit inhomogeneity in tissue micro-environments. Inferring histopathological information from MRI findings, however, remains challenging due to absence of direct links between MRI signals and cellular structures. Here, we show that deep convolutional neural networks, developed using co-registered multi-contrast MRI and histological data of the mouse brain, can estimate histological staining intensity directly from MRI signals at each voxel. The results provide three-dimensional maps of axons and myelin with tissue contrasts that closely mimics target histology and enhanced sensitivity and specificity compared to conventional MRI markers. Furthermore, the relative contribution of each MRI contrast within the networks can be used to optimize multi-contrast MRI acquisition. We anticipate our method to be a starting point for translation of MRI results into easy-to-understand virtual histology for neurobiologists and provide resources for validating novel MRI techniques.
Rights/Terms© 2022, Liang et al.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17883
- Deep learning-based convolutional neural network for intramodality brain MRI synthesis.
- Authors: Osman AFI, Tamam NM
- Issue date: 2022 Apr
- Automated glioma grading on conventional MRI images using deep convolutional neural networks.
- Authors: Zhuge Y, Ning H, Mathen P, Cheng JY, Krauze AV, Camphausen K, Miller RW
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- Using Deep Learning Algorithms to Automatically Identify the Brain MRI Contrast: Implications for Managing Large Databases.
- Authors: Pizarro R, Assemlal HE, De Nigris D, Elliott C, Antel S, Arnold D, Shmuel A
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- k-Space deep learning for reference-free EPI ghost correction.
- Authors: Lee J, Han Y, Ryu JK, Park JY, Ye JC
- Issue date: 2019 Dec
- Deep learning reveals untapped information for local white-matter fiber reconstruction in diffusion-weighted MRI.
- Authors: Nath V, Schilling KG, Parvathaneni P, Hansen CB, Hainline AE, Huo Y, Blaber JA, Lyu I, Janve V, Gao Y, Stepniewska I, Anderson AW, Landman BA
- Issue date: 2019 Oct