AuthorSack, David A
Debes, Amanda K
Ngwa, Moise Chi
Orach, Christopher C
Mohamed, Ahmed Abade
George, Christine Marie
Stine, O Colin
JournalJournal of Infectious Diseases
PublisherOxford University Press
MetadataShow full item record
SponsorsIn Bangladesh and West Bengal cholera is seasonal, transmission occurs consistently annually. By contrast, in most African countries, cholera has inconsistent seasonal patterns and long periods without obvious transmission. Transmission patterns in Africa occur during intermittent outbreaks followed by elimination of that genetic lineage. Later another outbreak may occur because of reintroduction of new or evolved lineages from adjacent areas, often by human travelers. These then subsequently undergo subsequent elimination. The frequent elimination and reintroduction has several implications when planning for cholera's elimination including: a) reconsidering concepts of definition of elimination, b) stress on rapid detection and response to outbreaks, c) more effective use of oral cholera vaccine and WASH, d) need to readjust estimates of disease burden for Africa, e) re-examination of water as a reservoir for maintaining endemicity in Africa. This paper reviews major features of cholera's epidemiology in African countries which appear different from the Ganges Delta. © The Author(s) 2021. Published by Oxford University Press for the Infectious Diseases Society of America.
Rights/Terms© The Author(s) 2021. Published by Oxford University Press for the Infectious Diseases Society of America.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17763
- Cholera outbreaks in Africa.
- Authors: Mengel MA, Delrieu I, Heyerdahl L, Gessner BD
- Issue date: 2014
- The design and analysis of cholera vaccine trials: recent lessons from Bangladesh.
- Authors: Clemens J, Sack D, Rao M, Chakraborty J, Kay B, Ahmed F, Khan MR, van Loon FP, Svennerholm AM, Holmgren J
- Issue date: 1993 Aug
- Defining endemic cholera at three levels of spatiotemporal resolution within Bangladesh.
- Authors: Domman D, Chowdhury F, Khan AI, Dorman MJ, Mutreja A, Uddin MI, Paul A, Begum YA, Charles RC, Calderwood SB, Bhuiyan TR, Harris JB, LaRocque RC, Ryan ET, Qadri F, Thomson NR
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Cholera in Africa: new momentum in fighting an old problem.
- Authors: Mengel MA
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- The Epidemiology of Cholera in Zanzibar: Implications for the Zanzibar Comprehensive Cholera Elimination Plan.
- Authors: Bi Q, Abdalla FM, Masauni S, Reyburn R, Msambazi M, Deglise C, von Seidlein L, Deen J, Jiddawi MS, Olson D, Nemes I, Taib JA, Lessler J, Andemichael GR, Azman AS
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 15