Prospects of Future Typhoid and Paratyphoid Vaccines in Endemic Countries.
JournalJournal of Infectious Diseases
PublisherOxford University Press
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLow- and middle-income countries face a high burden of typhoid and paratyphoid fever due to poor water quality and inadequate sanitation. The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends the use of typhoid conjugate vaccines (TCV) in endemic settings and Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, supports TCV introduction. There are currently 2 WHO-prequalified TCVs with Typbar TCV introduced in Pakistan, Liberia, and Zimbabwe. Countries should assess disease burden and consider introduction of TCV for programmatic use. Several paratyphoid vaccine candidates are in early stages of development. An effective bivalent vaccine would be the most efficient way to control typhoid and paratyphoid fever.
Rights/Terms© The Author(s) 2021. Published by Oxford University Press for the Infectious Diseases Society of America.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17761
- Typhoid Conjugate Vaccines: Advancing the Research and Public Health Agendas.
- Authors: Birkhold M, Mwisongo A, Pollard AJ, Neuzil KM
- Issue date: 2021 Dec 20
- Toward Control? The Prospects and Challenges of Typhoid Conjugate Vaccine Introduction.
- Authors: Carey ME, Diaz ZI, Broadstock M, Bailey R, Bentsi-Enchill AD, Larson HJ
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 15
- Review of current typhoid fever vaccines, cross-protection against paratyphoid fever, and the European guidelines.
- Authors: Zuckerman JN, Hatz C, Kantele A
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- Phase 3 Efficacy Analysis of a Typhoid Conjugate Vaccine Trial in Nepal.
- Authors: Shakya M, Colin-Jones R, Theiss-Nyland K, Voysey M, Pant D, Smith N, Liu X, Tonks S, Mazur O, Farooq YG, Clarke J, Hill J, Adhikari A, Dongol S, Karkey A, Bajracharya B, Kelly S, Gurung M, Baker S, Neuzil KM, Shrestha S, Basnyat B, Pollard AJ, TyVAC Nepal Study Team.
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 5
- Typhoid Vaccine Acceleration Consortium Malawi: A Phase III, Randomized, Double-blind, Controlled Trial of the Clinical Efficacy of Typhoid Conjugate Vaccine Among Children in Blantyre, Malawi.
- Authors: Meiring JE, Laurens MB, Patel P, Patel P, Misiri T, Simiyu K, Mwakiseghile F, Tracy JK, Masesa C, Liang Y, Henrion M, Rotrosen E, Gmeiner M, Heyderman R, Kotloff K, Gordon MA, Neuzil KM
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 7