Validation of International Classification of Diseases criteria to identify severe influenza hospitalizations.
AuthorSnyder, Brittney M
Patterson, Megan F
Lee, Rees L
Edwards, Kathryn M
Somerville, Lindsay A
Braciale, Thomas J
Ortiz, Justin R
Hartert, Tina V
JournalInfluenza and Other Respiratory Viruses
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this cohort study of hospitalized patients with linked medical record data, we developed International Classification of Diseases (ICD) criteria that accurately identified laboratory-confirmed, severe influenza hospitalizations (positive predictive value [PPV] 80%, 95% confidence interval [CI] 71–87%), which we validated through medical record documentation. These criteria identify patients with clinically important influenza illness outcomes to inform evaluation of preventive and therapeutic interventions and public health policy recommendations. © 2021 The Authors.
Rights/Terms© 2021 The Authors. Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
KeywordInternational Classification of Diseases
medical record extraction
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17659
- Validating International Classification of Disease 10th Revision algorithms for identifying influenza and respiratory syncytial virus hospitalizations.
- Authors: Hamilton MA, Calzavara A, Emerson SD, Djebli M, Sundaram ME, Chan AK, Kustra R, Baral SD, Mishra S, Kwong JC
- Issue date: 2021
- The burden of influenza-associated critical illness hospitalizations.
- Authors: Ortiz JR, Neuzil KM, Shay DK, Rue TC, Neradilek MB, Zhou H, Seymour CW, Hooper LG, Cheng PY, Goss CH, Cooke CR
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Epidemiology and Clinical Outcomes of Hospitalizations for Acute Respiratory or Febrile Illness and Laboratory-Confirmed Influenza Among Pregnant Women During Six Influenza Seasons, 2010-2016.
- Authors: Dawood FS, Garg S, Fink RV, Russell ML, Regan AK, Katz MA, Booth S, Chung H, Klein NP, Kwong JC, Levy A, Naleway A, Riesel D, Thompson MG, Wyant BE, Fell DB
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 27
- Accuracy of pneumonia hospital admissions in a primary care electronic medical record database.
- Authors: Meropol SB, Metlay JP
- Issue date: 2012 Jun
- Incidence of outpatient visits and hospitalizations related to influenza in infants and young children.
- Authors: O'Brien MA, Uyeki TM, Shay DK, Thompson WW, Kleinman K, McAdam A, Yu XJ, Platt R, Lieu TA
- Issue date: 2004 Mar