JournalCurrent Opinion in Rheumatology
PublisherWolters Kluwer Health
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE OF REVIEW: To assess the impact of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic on patients with osteoarthritis (OA). RECENT FINDINGS: The COVID-19 pandemic negatively affected patients with OA irrespective of them contracting the infection. Patients with OA had a disruption in access to the healthcare system, which resulted in delays in joint replacement surgeries from cancellations of elective surgical procedures. On the other hand, the pandemic accelerated the drive towards telemedicine and telerehabilitation, with many nonurgent services being delivered remotely whenever possible. Cross-sectional studies showed that the majority of patients with OA were willing to accept the increased risks of contracting the COVID-19 infection and proceed with elective joint replacement surgeries. SUMMARY: The American College of Rheumatology and the European League Against Rheumatism issued guidelines for managing immune-mediated rheumatic diseases during the pandemic. However, these guidelines did not include recommendations for patients with OA.Healthcare providers, including physical therapists, should aim to schedule more frequent telemedicine follow-up appointments to maximize medical management while patients await elective joint procedures.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc. All rights reserved.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17645
- Referrals for physical therapy for osteoarthritis during the COVID-19 pandemic: A retrospective analysis.
- Authors: Kaur M, Black D, Fine J, Wise BL
- Issue date: 2021
- Triaging Interventional Pain Procedures During COVID-19 or Related Elective Surgery Restrictions: Evidence-Informed Guidance from the American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians (ASIPP).
- Authors: Gharibo C, Sharma A, Soin A, Shah S, Diwan S, Buenaventura R, Nampiaparampil DE, Aydin S, Bakshi S, Abdi S, Jha SS, Cordner H, Kaye AD, Abd-Elsayed A, Candido KD, Knezevic NN, Atluri S, Wargo BW, Sanapati MR, Datta S, Hirsch JA, Manchikanti L, Rajput K
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Application of telemedicine video visits in a maternal-fetal medicine practice at the epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Authors: Tozour JN, Bandremer S, Patberg E, Zavala J, Akerman M, Chavez M, Mann DM, Testa PA, Vintzileos AM, Heo HJ
- Issue date: 2021 Nov
- Medical management of osteoarthritis during the CO-VID-19 pandemic: a challenge for the present and the future.
- Authors: Bernetti A, Farì G, Mangone M, Fiore P, Santilli V, Paoloni M, Agostini F
- Issue date: 2022 Mar-Apr
- A Practical Approach to the Management of Cancer Patients During the Novel Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic: An International Collaborative Group.
- Authors: Al-Shamsi HO, Alhazzani W, Alhuraiji A, Coomes EA, Chemaly RF, Almuhanna M, Wolff RA, Ibrahim NK, Chua MLK, Hotte SJ, Meyers BM, Elfiki T, Curigliano G, Eng C, Grothey A, Xie C
- Issue date: 2020 Jun