DCRM Multispecialty Practice Recommendations for the management of diabetes, cardiorenal, and metabolic diseases
Anderson, John E.
Bakris, George L.
Ballantyne, Christie M.
Beckman, Joshua A.
Bhatt, Deepak L.
Bloomgarden, Zachary T.
Budoff, Matthew J.
de Boer, Ian H.
DeFronzo, Ralph A.
Eckel, Robert H.
Fonseca, Vivian A.
Green, Jennifer B.
Inzucchi, Silvio E.
Jellinger, Paul S.
Kosiborod, Mikhail N.
Mende, Christian W.
Michos, Erin D.
Taub, Pam R.
Umpierrez, Guillermo E.
Weir, Matthew R.
JournalJournal of Diabetes and Its Complications
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractType 2 diabetes (T2D), chronic kidney disease (CKD), atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD), and heart failure (HF)-along with their associated risk factors-have overlapping etiologies, and two or more of these conditions frequently occur in the same patient. Many recent cardiovascular outcome trials (CVOTs) have demonstrated the benefits of agents originally developed to control T2D, ASCVD, or CKD risk factors, and these agents have transcended their primary indications to confer benefits across a range of conditions. This evolution in CVOT evidence calls for practice recommendations that are not constrained by a single discipline to help clinicians manage patients with complex conditions involving diabetes, cardiorenal, and/or metabolic (DCRM) diseases. The ultimate goal for these recommendations is to be comprehensive yet succinct and easy to follow by the nonexpert-whether a specialist or a primary care clinician. To meet this need, we formed a volunteer task force comprising leading cardiologists, nephrologists, endocrinologists, and primary care physicians to develop the DCRM Practice Recommendations, a multispecialty consensus on the comprehensive management of the patient with complicated metabolic disease. The task force recommendations are based on strong evidence and incorporate practical guidance that is clinically relevant and simple to implement, with the aim of improving outcomes in patients with DCRM. The recommendations are presented as 18 separate graphics covering lifestyle therapy, patient self-management education, technology for DCRM management, prediabetes, cognitive dysfunction, vaccinations, clinical tests, lipids, hypertension, anticoagulation and antiplatelet therapy, antihyperglycemic therapy, hypoglycemia, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), ASCVD, HF, CKD, and comorbid HF and CKD, as well as a graphical summary of medications used for DCRM.
KeywordAtherosclerotic cardiovascular disease
Chronic kidney disease
Type 2 diabetes
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17619
- Cardiorenal disease management in type 2 diabetes: An expert consensus.
- Authors: Mohan V, Singh AK, Zargar AH, Almeida A, Bhalla AK, Mohan JC, Dalal J, Sahay M, Mohanan PP, Maitra S, Ghosh S, Jeloka T, Kaul U, Sakhuja V, Das MK
- Issue date: 2022 Dec
- Glucose-lowering pharmacotherapies in Chinese adults with type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease or chronic kidney disease. An expert consensus reported by the Chinese Diabetes Society and the Chinese Society of Endocrinology.
- Authors: Hong T, Su Q, Li X, Shan Z, Chen L, Peng Y, Chen L, Yan L, Bao Y, Lyu Z, Shi L, Wang W, Guo L, Ning G, Mu Y, Zhu D
- Issue date: 2021 May
- Prevalence of Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease, Heart Failure, and Chronic Kidney Disease in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: A Primary Care Research Network-based Study.
- Authors: Goderis G, Vaes B, Mamouris P, van Craeyveld E, Mathieu C
- Issue date: 2022 Jul
- Early intervention and intensive management of patients with diabetes, cardiorenal, and metabolic diseases.
- Authors: Handelsman Y, Butler J, Bakris GL, DeFronzo RA, Fonarow GC, Green JB, Grunberger G, Januzzi JL Jr, Klein S, Kushner PR, McGuire DK, Michos ED, Morales J, Pratley RE, Weir MR, Wright E, Fonseca VA
- Issue date: 2023 Jan 3
- Use of Glucagon-Like Peptide-1 Receptor Agonists in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease: A Review.
- Authors: Honigberg MC, Chang LS, McGuire DK, Plutzky J, Aroda VR, Vaduganathan M
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 1